We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phantom of the Opera or Les Miserables?

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
148 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Phantom of the Opera or Les Miserables?

Which show is better to see, in your opinion?

I've never been on a musical before and would like to see one. Am male in 30ies. Or would you recommend some other show?

Many thanks!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
439 reviews
from US$104.40*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
628 reviews
from US$100.10*
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phantom of the Opera or Les Miserables?

You'll probably get a fairly even split on this, but my vote goes to Phantom. Hands down.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phantom of the Opera or Les Miserables?

And I would say Les Miserables, hands down. :) I've seen Phantom once, and Les Miserables many times, if that give you an idea. FWIW, my second favorite musical currently running in London is Billy Eliott.

As lynamc says, I predict you will get a fairly even split.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,848 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phantom of the Opera or Les Miserables?

Mine's for Les Miserables. More songs to hum on the way home. Phantom (for me), has a couple to hum, but not so many as Les Mis. At times I just find Phantom to be a little too operatic (read: shrill) if I'm not in the mood for that sort of music. However, both are excellent shows.

N.Wales UK
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
9,505 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phantom of the Opera or Les Miserables?

I've seen both shows and enjoyed both but I think I would choose Les Mis to see again :)

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phantom of the Opera or Les Miserables?

Seen both twice; once in England and once in Warsaw. If I was to see one a 3rd time it would definitely be Les Mis.

Alta, Norway
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Phantom of the Opera or Les Miserables?

"And I would say Les Miserables, hands down. :) I've seen Phantom once, and Les Miserables many times, if that give you an idea. FWIW, my second favorite musical currently running in London is Billy Eliott."

A gal after my own heart!

Another vote for LM. 4-1 so far. :-) ;-)

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
805 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phantom of the Opera or Les Miserables?

Too close to call.

Listen to songs from both, then make up your own mind.

I was a little disappointed with Les Mis in London last year but enjoyed Billy Eliott immensely.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phantom of the Opera or Les Miserables?

I would say Les Mis because the story is moving and reflects the reality for many people in the period it was set. The storyline in Phantom is utter claptrap. I find it difficult to empathise with the characters because they and the story are so completely implausible and I find it more difficult to be moved by the music for the same reason.

Boston UK
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Phantom of the Opera or Les Miserables?

I'm definitely no expert on shows but I have seen Les Miserables some time ago and was left only mildly impressed. Not seen Phantom so cannot comment, BUT on a recent trip went to the Playhouse Theatre to see Dreamboats and Petticoats, which I would highly recommend. Fact is we got bargain tickets at £19 a head but I would gladly pay full price for such a delightful and uplifting show! The story line is cheesy and a totally transparent corny love story, but it really doesn't matter cos it's told through the medium of some great 50s/60s music, performed to a very high standard indeed. If you're looking for the feel-good factor, go to this show!

Alta, Norway
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Phantom of the Opera or Les Miserables?

"I was a little disappointed with Les Mis in London last year"

There will be a cast change on June 23 (with two of the principals from the 25th anniversary concert, if you've seen that one).

londontheatre.co.uk/londontheatre/news/my11/…