We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Freezing to death...

Calgary
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Freezing to death...

My friend is worried that I will freeze if I do not take a coat along w/ me. I think (hope) I will be fine. I plan on a tank, t-shirt, sweater, and down vest, w/ maybe a jean jacket thrown in for good measure. I'm fine w/ that here in Alberta at -5 to-10.

Thanx for your input,

It will either reassure my friend or give me a smack on the head. lol

P2S

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,355 Reviews
from US$131.50*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,127 Reviews
from US$140.20*
US$155.80
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
512 Reviews
from US$118.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$350.20*
London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Freezing to death...

Well if that's all you need for -5 to -10 then I guess you'll be fine, also coming from Canada you probably won't think it cold here at all :o) Personally, I need a coat!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Freezing to death...

Hi paidtosurf

It won't be anywhere near that cold so you will be fine.When I'm in London in the winter,I wear the coat that does me at home for temps ranging between -10 and +10(at -10 I wear a heavier long sleeved shirt and at +10 a t-shirt).

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Freezing to death...

Sure, leave your hat, gloves and scarf at home. You won't need it!

(-10??!!)

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
243 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Freezing to death...

I agree - been to London in February and March, and a wind-breaker/denim jacket is fine, I think.

Don't bring an umbrella - it doesn't rain THAT much, and besides, you can always find cheap umbrellas if you need one - or find cover in a shop....LOL

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Freezing to death...

Yeah, but are you wandering the streets of Alberta all day, dressed like that, when it's -5/-10??

Take the coat.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Freezing to death...

I live in Alberta and I was fine with a long sleeved shirt and a shell (wind/waterproof layer), and that was in January. And I was out walking all day.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,110 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Freezing to death...

Temperature is one thing and humidity is another. What gets you is humidity.

RIGA, Latvia
Level Contributor
208 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Freezing to death...

Hey it is winter. +5 C for winter is of course warm, but you need a coat. I say waether is never bad - bad there is bad inappropriate cloath.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Freezing to death...

paidtosurf, no offense here my friend but walking around in the middle of winter without appropriate clothing just looks stupid. At my school kids get out of their parents cars no less on the coldest mornings of the year in shorts and t-shirts. They then wonder why their skin is turning blue. I often ask tehm if they plan on coming to school in their underwear when it gets hot? A down vest would be great, just plan on long sleeves under it. Pub

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Freezing to death...

London has damp cold & that can really chill you to the bone, so you may like to bring som extra (thin) layers to cosy up.

Don't forget that you may get cuaght in drizzle/light rains & a thicker (waterproof windproof) outer layer will keep you from the damp.

Anything denim/untreated wil just soak up the water & chill you through. Can you bring a light windproof waterproof outer layer to throw on over the jacket.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK