We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Ben/Parliament at sunset

us
Level Contributor
477 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Big Ben/Parliament at sunset

Just took a peek on camvista at Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament lit up at dusk....sureal!! Cheers, cee

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Ben/Parliament at sunset

Cee: I just looked at the camvista but it's dark out now. Oh well, will try tomorrow.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,881 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Ben/Parliament at sunset

Lee,

At the moment, the sun is setting at about 5 pm London time but it is generally still resonably light until about 5.30. So set your alarm for the appropriate Seattle time tomorrow and you should have a good view.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Ben/Parliament at sunset

Thanks Mick.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Ben/Parliament at sunset

Link?

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,312 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Ben/Parliament at sunset

Crysal, are doing this to me on purpose? All I could do is picture Big Ben at sunset as illok down to it from Trafalger Square. It's one of my favorite vistas in London. Mick, oh to be at 52 degrees north. It's staying light much later here already and reminders of the dreaded daylight savings are starting to become all too real. Six months of fatigue will be upon me before I know it. Of course light until 11 at night you can keep. Pub

us
Level Contributor
477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Ben/Parliament at sunset

Hee-hee Pub, no I'm really not trying to make you sad, as I feel the same way. However, just looking at the live cams makes me feel much closer to the real thing and it is a spectacular view at dusk! Cheers, Crystal

us
Level Contributor
477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Big Ben/Parliament at sunset

Oh, britfan and anyone else who wants to know, I just always search London Camvista for the link. ..enjoy, cee

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,881 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Big Ben/Parliament at sunset

The link to camvista's England webcams is below:

http://www.camvista.com/england/index.php3

Another good website is the Earthcam website, http://www.earthcam.com/uk/england/london/ , as this allows you to take snapshots and then they can be viewd vis the Hall of Fame link on the top left. So next time there's a nice sunset, submit a snapshot and then tell us when it's been published so we can all take a look.

If you scroll through the hall of fame, you will see some nice shots of The Houses of Parliament and Big Ben with Westminster Abbey in the background.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Big Ben/Parliament at sunset

I realize this is kind of anal retentive of me, but what is normally called Big Ben is actually St. Stephen's Tower. Big Ben is the name of one of the bells inside it. It is rumored to named after Sir Benjamin Hall, the commissioner of public works at the time the bell was cast in 1858.

Yeah, I'm one of those types who just can't help throwing in my two cents. (pence?)

us
Level Contributor
477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Big Ben/Parliament at sunset

Right Nuke. I knew that, but what shall one call the clock tower at Parliament? I mean for a short name that everyone knows exactly what you are talking about? cee