We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on phone credit....worried Mum!!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on phone credit....worried Mum!!

My 18 yr old daughter is headed to London for 5 weeks in June.

She will be taking her phone with her but I was going to get her a pre-paid sim that I can top up for her with credit so she may be contacted and contact us whenever she needs.

Is it best for her to get a sim card in London, if so, can I top it up from Australia or do I get one from Australia before she leaves?

Not sure which is best.

Thanks heaps.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,254 reviews
from US$127.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
456 reviews
from US$106.00*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,085 reviews
from US$150.40*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.90*
US$336.60
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,860 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on phone credit....worried Mum!!

Will her phone work in the UK? If not, she'll be able to buy a mobile for about a fiver with £10 - 15 of top up time added. Once she uses that pre-paid time she can either keep the Sim card and the phone provider or buy an inexpensive Sim card (Lycamobile and Lebara are two sold in many shops) for even lower rates.

Sim cards sold in London cost a pound or two and again are available in a number of shops. Inexpensive mobiles are sold at Argos, Carphone Warehouse, some branches of Superdrug and at the phone providers' (O2, 3, Orange, T-Mobile and Vodafone) stand alone shops.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on phone credit....worried Mum!!

Many thanks TravellerPlus, my fear is not being able to contact her so this helps greatly, again thank you.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on phone credit....worried Mum!!

Carphone Warehouse sell a SIM with a low rate for international calls. Or, if you call her, there will be no charge at all to her.

She should make sure her phone is unlocked before she comes over otherwise a UK SIM is unlikely to work in it.

FWIW you can buy a second hand phone for £5-£10 in Carphone Warehouse.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
502 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on phone credit....worried Mum!!

In Argos you can get a new phone including £10 credit for £14.99

Cheap and cheerful but it will do the trick.

Does her own phone have wifi capability? If so and she has the ability to install something like Skype then you could call each other for nothing, assuming you can install it as well

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on phone credit....worried Mum!!

Many thanks Joe and Gwestend for all your help, now she will have no excuses for not calling!!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
807 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on phone credit....worried Mum!!

Her australian phone will probably work in the U.K unless she is on a specific plan.

All she needs to do is buy a new simcard and swap it with her current one when she arrives in London. Texting is cheap and convenient.That is what my children do.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
222 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on phone credit....worried Mum!!

get an o2 one (sim card) you get free international minutes when you top up

Edited: 07 June 2011, 11:01
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on phone credit....worried Mum!!

<<Her australian phone will probably work in the U.K unless she is on a specific plan.>>

It wont if its locked to the Oz network its currently on. She should make sure its unlocked first.

9. Re: Advice on phone credit....worried Mum!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 20:16