We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dirty Hotels

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
denmark
Level Contributor
123 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Dirty Hotels

Just read this article

bbc.co.uk/london/content/articles/2006/02/10…

I have not had any bad experience in the hotels, that I have stayed in. And it makes one think do I chance it next time and book a new hotel.

I love to book in varius areas just see a new neighbourhood.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,105 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dirty Hotels

Blimey. That wasn't pretty to read. I think they've got one thing backwards, though. Where they quote the man from the Good Hotel Guide, who says, "Frankly, Americans come here and they are appalled as they would pay half what they pay in the US and the standards are not really good. So I think there's a real problem in London," I think he means that Americans pay TWICE as much here as in the US, thereby adding insult to injury.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dirty Hotels

Wow poncho that's quite the article. The urine under the UV light makes me cringe. There's no reason for sloppy cleaning. Hoteliers should be very aware that if there name gets out it could do them in and take years to rebuild their reputation.

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dirty Hotels

Whilst not disputing the underlying point, this article to me reflects all the worst in journalism rather than hotels.

If I was a journalist and had an agenda set by a editor who told me to write a 'sensational' article about London hotels.

I'm pretty sure I'd go to someone who knew to tell me of 3 likely hotels with probable poor hygene and general standards.

If I was that person the Lonsdale Bloomsbury, Comfort Inn Kings Cross and the Thistle Bloomsbury would be high on the likely suspects of questionable hotels where I'd indicate they'll likely find a 'story'. I'm sure thats whats happened here.

Using Lonely Planet as being 'expert' in London is a bit rich. This is a publication that until recently still included Carnaby Street in places to see and have hotel recommendation like the Alhumbra in Kings Cross as a 'central Bloomsbury' hotel

Reading/London UK
Level Contributor
955 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dirty Hotels

You're right, there is no excuse for sloppy cleaning but in the hotels I worked at, the poor room attendants were expected to clean 13 or 15 rooms on their shift, often with one multi-purpose cleaning product and one cloth.

I was horrified when I saw the bedroom glasses and cups being given a quick swill under the bathroom sink tap and put back.

The head-housekeepers hated me for putting so much pressure on them to cut back the cleaners' duties. Unfortunately, it's all down to money!

Disgraceful, isn't it.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dirty Hotels

Well, I guess now tourists should pack plastic gloves and disinfectant to clean their hotel room before using the facilities.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,206 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dirty Hotels

Those three hotels are certainly not ones that I would reccommend but that does not mean that we should take the story lightly or dismiss it as grubby (pun intended) journalism.

The underlying problem is that there is no real system to enforce the neccessary regulations and until there is, hotels at all ends of the price spectrum will continue to (either accidently or deliberately) ignore basic cleanliness.

The other problem is that the media tends not to follow up these types of story so that they get forgotten and ultimately ignored.

denmark
Level Contributor
123 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dirty Hotels

Follow Up

The show is now online:

Have a look

bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/…

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dirty Hotels

the system to enforce regulations and cleanliness it is called tripadvisor and other such fora.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,192 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dirty Hotels

Yes and no, brusselsboy:

nytimes.com/2006/02/07/business/07guides.html

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dirty Hotels

Boy in Brussels ~> True enough that Trip Advisor may make some hoteliers sit up and take notice. However, a good way to get through is to contact the hotelier in writing yourself and if they are in a chain than go above them.