We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning Our Day in Rye, Bodiam Casle and Sissinghurst

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sarnia, Canada
Level Contributor
485 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Planning Our Day in Rye, Bodiam Casle and Sissinghurst

My husband and I are planning a day that should look something like this:

9:00 Pick up rental car in Tonbridge and head for Rye

10:00 arrive in Rye, tour church, climb tower, check out the shops

11:30 leave for Bodiam Castle

12:00 arrive Bodiam Castle, eat (hopefully sandwiches are available at a grab-and-go kiosk)

12:30 explore castle

2:30 leave for Sissinghurst Castle Gardens

3:00 arrive Sissinghurst

5:00 head for our hotel in Royal Tunbrdge Wells and rest

8:30 dinner at George and Dragon, Speldhurst

Are there places at Bodiam Castle for a quick bite? Our other option would be to eat at Marino's in Rye, which Argyle Mikey recommends. I'm not sure if it's a place that we could get in and out of quickly. Perhaps Argyle Mikey can let us know. Note that we are on a tight schedule so we won't have time to go out of our way to find places to eat.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,319 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning Our Day in Rye, Bodiam Casle and Sissinghurst

Don't worry, I'm still watching !

It's a great day, if a busy one.

I really would stay in Rye for lunch if you possibly can - the fish and chips is authentic and excellent (which is why I recommended it) and I suspect you will enjoy it much more than a sandwich at the NT shop at Bodiam, but it's your call. They should open at 1130 and it'll be quiet then, so have an early lunch and you'll still be on schedule.

Read this about parking too. I'd head for the station, very close to the historic centre of town and easy to find.

beenthere-donethat.org.uk/sussex/ryeparking.…

Have fun !

Mike

Edited: 11 June 2011, 21:52
Sarnia, Canada
Level Contributor
485 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning Our Day in Rye, Bodiam Casle and Sissinghurst

Thank you once again!!! We'll head for the station. We've bought English maps for our GPS but I'm also running off maps from transportdirect. It's good to know where parking is. Not knowing is a real time waster.

Sarnia, Canada
Level Contributor
485 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning Our Day in Rye, Bodiam Casle and Sissinghurst

I've used transport direct to find the railway station in Rye as well as the cheap parking lot on Rope Road, which appears to be on our way into town. :)

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning Our Day in Rye, Bodiam Casle and Sissinghurst

I don' remember much in the way of food provision at Bodiam. There was a shop but not much more when we went.

Edited: 13 June 2011, 21:38
Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning Our Day in Rye, Bodiam Casle and Sissinghurst

Hi, You sound very well organised. Eating and drinking in Rye can be a bit pricey as it's a bit of a tourist trap. The last time I was at Bodiam we used the National Trust teashop for dining and there was also a pub, The Castle Inn, just by the entrance to the NT car park. Enjoy your day!

Sarnia, Canada
Level Contributor
485 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning Our Day in Rye, Bodiam Casle and Sissinghurst

Thank you for this information. I 've wondered what would be available at Bodiam and it sounds like a great option. And, even if we do eat in Rye, it would be lovely to have a cup of tea at the place that you mention.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning Our Day in Rye, Bodiam Casle and Sissinghurst

I think you're doing this the wrong way, Bodiam first, then Rye, then you could take Military (canal) Road to Appledore, has a quaint church here, then through Woodchurch, we have a nice church to, through the villages of High Halden, to Biddenden to Sissinghurst. It takes me 20 mins to reach Sissinghurst from Woodchurch, Rye is 20 mins to so easily done within 1 hour & you get to go through some pretty places. On your way back to TW you should go through Goudhurst & pass it's beautiful church.

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning Our Day in Rye, Bodiam Casle and Sissinghurst

Braaiseason's route makes good sense as you pass through some pretty villages on the way with plenty of places (pubs etc) to stop for refreshments and you can give me a wave on your way through High Halden :=))

Sarnia, Canada
Level Contributor
485 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning Our Day in Rye, Bodiam Casle and Sissinghurst

Thank you for your suggestion. I'll work it out both ways. My logic was to travel to Rye first, since it's the farthest and we can get there well before our other sites even open.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning Our Day in Rye, Bodiam Casle and Sissinghurst

Most of the route you will be taking is the A21, IMO I don't think there are any pretty villages on this route as the A21 now by-passes most of them, nice countryside in areas, but lots of traffic. Should you take up my suggestion you will see marshlands, quaint villages, pass through enchanting woodlands, period houses, pretty houses & gardens, oast houses, farmland, village greens, churches & some local countryside views :0) If you're luckily enough you may even see an owl hunting in daylight !