We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

adamhornets

Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
555 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
adamhornets

Adam I have a new address as I went to high speed. I lost your address otherwise I wouldn't be doing this post!

You know we will be at Hotel La Place..after reading your post on things to see and do in London from the Time Out Magazine (which I cut and pasted as well as some wonderful replies...are we any where near any of the sites listed? Are we near Westminster Bridge or St. Pauls Cathedral??? Laing

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: adamhornets

Hotel La Place is a bit north of all the main attractions. You have Madame Tussaud's and Regents Park on your doorstep and Oxford Street abou a 10 minute walk away.

Otherwise, for most places you'll have to get the tube from Bakers Street tube about 200m away

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,180 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: adamhornets

Laing, I know that Adam is at a TALF meet this evening, so until he gets back to you, I'll just step in to say that Hotel La Place is in Nottingham Place in Marylebone. You aren't particularly near Westminster Bridge or St. Paul's. However, you can reach Westminster Bridge easily by taking the Jubilee Line from Baker Street tube station to Westminster station. As for St. Paul's, take the Jubilee Line to Bond Street Station, then transfer to the Central Line to St. Paul's station.

If you have more sites you'd like to list, please do.

Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
555 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: adamhornets

Thanks for the replies.Once again I copied them and I am now getting quite a nice folder on what to do in London.Is Oxford St. for shopping??

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: adamhornets

Yes, Oxford Street is for shopping, but would venture that most of it is tacky or mainstream. Exceptions being Selfridges, John Lewis, M&S, Russell & Bromley, the shops in South Molton Street, St Christopher's Place & Bond Street.

Fashion for teens & uber trendies can be found at TopShop, New Look, Zara, H&M - mostly clustered around Oxford Circus.

Liberty of Regent Street is well worth a visit - very British.

Marylebone 'village' has plenty of good small shops.

Search this forum for any of the above names.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,155 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: adamhornets

Hi Laing,

You have, as ever, have given perfect advice. You will find that some days it will make sense to walk to Baker Street tube station and on others to head south along the delightful Marylebone High Street to the Oxford Street shops and Bond Street tube station.

adamhornets@yahoo.com

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,614 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: adamhornets

Call me an old fussbudget, but I'm not keen on using the St Paul's tube stop to get to the cathedral, as it's a bit of a hike from one to the other. As an alternate route, you can take bus number 13 from Baker Street towards the Aldwych and change to a number 11 or 15 along the Strand - a much nicer ride, in my view. It'll take longer than the tube, but there's lots to see along the way.

Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
555 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: adamhornets

Thank you all again! My printer is getting quite a work out! I really need to somehow get a map of London and figure out where I am going.From the other site, -the one with things to do in London, -I am now so keen to stand on the Westminster bridge and also see the sites from St. Paul's Cathedral. I was going to go on the " Eye" but if I get a wonderful view from a Cathedral..well... bonus!!Think I prefer to travel above ground most of the time as I don't want to miss the sites! Adam I think you mentioned that there is a massive "marathon or run" going on the weekend we are there....April 22-25th. Do you know where it is going on so that we should perhaps avoid the area??

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,180 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: adamhornets

Laing, the London Marathon will be run on 23 April. A map of the route can be found here: london-marathon.co.uk/site/runner_support/ - click on Course Map to download. The route starts in the Greenwich area, and basically follows the river to St. James's Park.

Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
555 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: adamhornets

Thanks again theartgirl! That map is unreal...As previously mentioned I've got to get out and get a map of London. That map gave me more of an idea of where some places are located. That was just the area I was headed on the Sun so guess I'll change my mind on that one!

thanks again!

Level Contributor
737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: adamhornets

laing1, try this website, it's great, www.streetsensation.co.uk/