We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oyster vs 1 day travelcard?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
563 posts
Save Topic
Oyster vs 1 day travelcard?

Good Morning.

I am a regular visitor to London and have always purchase 1 day travel cards each day (usually im there for 3 days). Are the 1 day travelcards still the best value or shall i look nto an Oyster Card? Ive never used one beofre so not too sure how they work. How much does it deduct from your balance each time you use the underground? Some days we find ourselves hopping on and off trains all day, some days we only use it 2 or 3 times. We are staying at Swissotel the Howard so nearest tube is Temple, but i understand Covent Garden is within easy walking distance.

Best Regards

Amanda

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,421 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oyster vs 1 day travelcard?

Oyster prices:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx

will allow you to work out whether PAYG or travelcards - which cap at £6.60 (of peak) or £8 peak - are worthwhile.

As there are at least 2 of you if you want the 241 discounts you need paper travelcards from a rail station:

daysoutguide.co.uk/attraction-types/2for1lon…

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,100 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Oyster vs 1 day travelcard?

As you will presumably have train tickets you are already covered for the offers on daysoutguide.com

As for what is best in your case - I would get an Oystercard each and for stays of 4 days or less load about £6 per day on it, for longer stays I'd load a 7 Day Zone 1-2 Travelcard onto it plus £6 for travel outside zones 1-2.

Oystercard PAYG will at worst cap at the same level as a one day Travelcard covering the same zones - but it can cost less as the Oystercard computers will always work out the cheapest combination of tickets for PAYG

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Oyster vs 1 day travelcard?

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/ will tell you all the prices

A one day travelcard for zones 1-2 is £6.60. An Oyster card will charge you this as a maximum, less if the journeys you make add up to less than this.

The 'snag' - if there is one - with the Oyster is that you have to 'buy' the card with a £5 deposit.

The other factor is the 2 for 1 offers - about which there are interminable posts on here. To get these you need a travelcard (bought in the right place) - or your rail tickets from Seaham if you've travelled to London by train.

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
563 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Oyster vs 1 day travelcard?

Hi there

We are travelling by rail from Durham anyway so will already have rail tickets for the 2 for 1. I think we will go with the Oyster cards, do you just get a refund of the deposit off the teller in the booth?

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oyster vs 1 day travelcard?

Yes you can get a refund

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Oyster vs 1 day travelcard?

Yes you do - though if you are regularly travelling just hang on to it for the next trip and save the hassle

Dabrowa Gornicza
Level Contributor
212 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oyster vs 1 day travelcard?

Do I get the refund too if I have a Photocard? I mean, this 10 pounds administration fee. As it's _Photo_card, I seriously doubt it but it's always worth asking :)

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Oyster vs 1 day travelcard?

The £10 fee for a photocard in non-refundable

9. Re: Oyster vs 1 day travelcard?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 09:21