We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment rental in Shad Thames - good location?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois (Chicago...
Level Contributor
40 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Apartment rental in Shad Thames - good location?

I am considering a studio apartment on Chambers St (SE16) in the SHAD THAMES area. Is this a good area for 1st/2nd time visitors to London who will be doing the usual touristy things? We are a middle-aged couple with a 10 year old and will be staying for 4 nights.

Thanks!

London
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartment rental in Shad Thames - good location?

Can you please post a link to the apartment, and how much they want per night and who you are considering renting through, and how they want payment.

SE16 is not Central London, but a suburb. You really would do better to find something more central.

Please before booking any apartment gives us the link on here, so we can make sure it is not a scam, and also read the "sticky" at top of this forum about renting.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartment rental in Shad Thames - good location?

This area is Bermondsey, and as only half a mile or so downstream of Tower Bridge, it's quite close to central London. Chambers Street is close to Bermondsey Underground station, so one stop away from London Bridge rail station. It's a riverside location and also close to the Angel pub, which has associations with the ship, The Mayflower. Cautions about the apartment itself still apply, of course.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartment rental in Shad Thames - good location?

<< SE16 is not Central London, but a suburb. You really would do better to find something more central. >>

Nonsense !

Shad Thames is within a stones throw of Tower Bridge. There are great walks along the River in both directions from there with plenty of surprises if you head east round as far as Surrey Quays Farm and keep your eyes open.

You could not get much closer to The Tower of London, but will be a distance away from Westminster and Buckingham Palace (but you can't have it both ways).

IMO it is a great location. Make sure the apartment is genuine and go for it.

Illinois (Chicago...
Level Contributor
40 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartment rental in Shad Thames - good location?

Thank you for your concerns and insights. Here is the info, excerpted from the email she sent me in reply to my request. There are also reviews for the original apartment here on TripAdvisor - all but one excellent or very good. Everything seems on the up-and-up to me, but I, of course, would welcome any concerns that you have as I have never rented in London before. Thanks much, AMC

Dear Amy,

Thank you very much for your enquiry regarding our Riverside apartment at Axis Court. I am very sorry but the original studio you saw on Trip Advisor has a booking for your dates. I do have another studio in the same block.

It has amazing river views !

The link is http://www.londonholiday.co.uk/page4.php

The street map is www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf… and look for the RED arrow.

A studio is a small open plan living/sleeping area (no separate bedroom) with an open plan kitchen. I am delighted we have availability from:

Arrive: Tuesday 2nd August 2011

Depart: Saturday 6th August 2011

One Studio for adults and children

A total of 4 nights @ £120 per night

Total= £480

Booking is simple !

Please hit “reply” on your e mail and kindly answer:

1/ Landing time…….

2/ At London Airport …….

3/ Telephone Number …….

4/ Cell Phone Number……

If you have any questions in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me. I hope that we will be able to help you on this visit.

Kind Regards

Karen Walker

Payment Methods

Pay Pal or Bank Transfer.

There is no booking fee and no cleaning exit fee. (some people charge between £30 and £50.00) !

NO SECURITY DEPOSIT FOR DAMAGES !

We do not take a cash deposit for damage, as we feel it is a little unfair for people to wait until they get home to get this money back. Instead, we take a copy of your credit card on arrival, and ask you to sign an agreement that any damage will be paid for. So far, we have not had to do this !

Cancellation Policy

If you need to cancel and you do this 6 weeks before arrival a full refund of your deposit will be refunded. If you cancel after this time, we will refund if we can re-book the studio (due to popularity of this studio this can normally be done) Your travel insurance may possibly cover you for this.

In the unlikely event that we need to cancel we will either refund your deposit or find you a similar or higher quality apartment.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,075 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartment rental in Shad Thames - good location?

There's nothing within walking distance so you will be dependent on public transport for everything. Also if you are arriving at Heathrow it's on the other side of London from the airport.

Illinois (Chicago...
Level Contributor
40 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apartment rental in Shad Thames - good location?

Gil57, did you have any further thoughts on legitimacy? Thanks!

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apartment rental in Shad Thames - good location?

<< There's nothing within walking distance so you will be dependent on public transport for everything. >>

So Alan, you consider Tower Bridge, the Tower of London, HMS Belfast and London Dungeons "nothing" (might have to agree with you on the last one, but the OP is bringing a 10 yo)

It looks legit to me, none of the usual scammer's trade marks.

Edited: 27 June 2011, 16:59
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
982 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Apartment rental in Shad Thames - good location?

Also the Design Museum is right next door and Borough Market/Globe Theatre and lots of other interesting things on the SouthBank are an easy and interesting walk along the river.

london
Level Contributor
65 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Apartment rental in Shad Thames - good location?

I think it's a good location in an interesting area. Some bits of Bermondsey are really ugly but the area the apartment in is nice and has undergone a makeover in the last 20 years.

This website will show you some more about the area www.bermondseyvillage.org.uk/location.htm

As well as the design museum and other nearby attractions already mentioned there is an antiques Market in Bermondsey Square on a friday not far from the apartment.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Apartment rental in Shad Thames - good location?

Hello McCarder...

I am planning on renting an apartment from Karen Walker this summer but a differen apartment in the Shad Thames area. The info that she sent you is similar to what she sent me. Is Karen Walker legit? Did you have any problems? How was your apartment? How was the area?

Thank you.