We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Stonehenge

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
36 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
London to Stonehenge

I will be passing through London on my way to Scotland and would like to see as much of it as I can as well as make it to Stonehenge.

I am looking for suggestions given that we will really only have the day we fly in. and half a day before we leave to fly out.

Our flight in arrives at 7 am and most of the tours to Stonehenge I have seen have pickup times that are too early for us to consider them given we have to get off the plane, go through customs etc.

And we have only an afternoon and evening on the way out of town so that means we can't do much outside of London itself that day.

I have only found 2 tours that are supposed to leave later on. One a direct tour that is supposed to have a morning and afternoon tour, but when I look into booking it, I get only morning times.

The other is a tour of Stonehenge and Bath that leaves from London at 10:30 but I have no idea if it’s feasible to book that either, since we don't get in until 7 a.m. and we have to get through customs, take a bus or tram to our hotel and get that settled before we can think about the tour.

Thoughts or suggestion?

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The English Bus
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
London Black Taxi Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
812 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Stonehenge

Try 'The London Toolkit'

www.londontoolkit.com/

They list an afternoon bus tour leaving from Victoria Coach Station at 1.20pm.

Or you could try doing the trip yourself from Waterloo Station about an 80min train ride to Salisbury Station, then take the Stonehenge Tour Bus that leaves from the Salisbury Station. Rather like a hop on, hop off bus, 30 min ride to Stonehenge from about 9.30am in summer, every 1/2hr, last bus is 5pm

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Stonehenge

It sounds like you don't have enough time to easily fit this in. Are you sure you really want to see it ? Many people are underwhelmed by it.

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Stonehenge

Have to agree that you don't really have enough time to fit this in. From what I understand, you plan to land at Heathrow (?), then spend that night in London before traveling onward to Edinburgh the next day. Have I got the timing correct?

Any chance you could spend the first night in Bath, then continue on to Edinburgh (and I haven't looked at the train schedule so I don't even know if that's possible). You could take a Stonehenge tour from Bath. Alternatively, take the overnight train from London to Edinburgh on the evening of the second day, picking up most of the day for London/Stonehenge.

It's pretty easy to get to Salisbury from London by train, then take the shuttle bus from Salisbury to Stonehenge. Spending an hour at Stonehenge is enough for most people. As peterscot said, many folks are underwhelmed, and it's a lot of travel for not a lot of time spent. You are aware that you can't get anywhere near the stones, right? There are "private access" tours that leave London either very early or return very late, and are only offered certain dates.

We went (by train from London) and we're glad we did, but we'd spent about 18 days over 2 trips in London by that time. We went because my son REALLY wanted to go - and he was definitely underwhelmed.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
36 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Stonehenge

Going to Stonehenge has been on my husband’s dream list since he was boy so I desperately want to be sure he gets to see it. We had planned to take one of the inner access tours only to find out that they do not run inner access tours in October and November. We arrive on Oct. 1st.

I can't justify not going when it may be his only chance to see them. Staying and seeing the stones on Sunday is an option as well. It was the original plan in fact and while I would enjoy seeing some of the London and other English sites while we are there, Scotland is the priority which is why I thought we might just focus on Stonehenge itself and forego the other sites.

I'm just so torn.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Stonehenge

There is a lady that does pickups & trips from Heathrow, you could have her pick you up take you to Stonehenge and back into London. Probably going to cost you £200-£300 at a guess.

I cant recall her name, but it comes up occasionally in the windsor forum as thats a popular venue for these daytrips so look or ask in there.

Are you sure this is as much of a lifelong dream as you think, given neither of you took the simple step of arranging the time needed for the visit when booking flights?

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
36 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Stonehenge

His dream. My booking. My first consideration was getting there when we were able to get off work. It never once occurred to me that 2 months of the year would not be available and either way it wouldn't have changed when we could get the time off to go over.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Stonehenge

Does he want just to make the "seen the stones, tick in the box" stop at Stonehenge, or does he have enough of an interest in the late Neolithic and Bronze Age cultures of the area that he'll be wanting to see the rest of the landscape - the barrows, the Avenue, the river, and so on?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Stonehenge

I wouldn't worry. You'll see more impressive sights on Orkney, and without the crowds.

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London to Stonehenge

The afternoon tours to Stonehenge do not have hotel pickups, only the morning ones The underlying assumption is that for an afternoon tour you can make your own way to the start point.

The Premium Tours afternoon Stonehenge tour starts from Victoria.

There are 3 National Express buses a day each way between Heathrow and Amesbury at the bottom of the hill from Stonehenge and a couple of trains each hour between London Waterloo and Salisbury from where the Stonehenge bus runs all through the day.

You might be able to combine these to fit your schedule.

Stonhenge is open until 7 p.m this time of year.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
36 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London to Stonehenge

He is looking forward to viewing and experiencing many of the Neolithic sites and circles we'll be seeing. Stonehenge itself was just the first one he had any knowledge of and so holds a special sort of "must see" feeling. He’s wanted to go for years even before we knew that you could walk among them. So while it's disappointing we can't go among them it's still at the top of his list.

He has really only ever wanted to go to Stonehenge and Scotland. It's not so much about checking off a list as it is doing the two things he's always wanted to do. If we do get the chance to come back and can take the inner circle tour we may, but I am working on the assumption that we won’t just in case.

I'm sure we would enjoy seeing the rest of the landscape as well but because we do want to spend the majority of the time in Scotland (we'll be driving from Edinburgh to the Orkneys with lots of stops in between, so we want to have time enough for that) so as far as sites in England go we are sticking with just Stonehenge.

We have considered doing one of the other all day tours that Sunday but because our focus is Scotland, we can't really say what else we would like to try and see before heading north. I’m grossly uninformed about much of England. What little I do know, I retained from a book called Sarum by Edward Rutherford. (Great book by the way.)

I wish I was trust fund baby who was too spoiled to work so I could just go wherever, whenever and not worry about timetables etc. ~Sigh

Thank you for the info about Premium Tours Stonehenge Direct tour. I knew it said there was an afternoon tour but as I said, I was only getting morning times and when I emailed them about it all they did was say they did have the tour and to book it online…where all I see are morning tours without a way to book the afternoon tour. I’ll have to look again and see if I’ve missed anything.