We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theatre recommendation - opposite of War Horse

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Theatre recommendation - opposite of War Horse

I have scored fabulous seats for War Horse, and am excited to see what I know will be a wonderful show. I understand it will be "heavy" and would like to book another show that is completely different, probably a musical or comedy. The problem is, I have already seen most of the big shows like Lion King, Wicked, Billy Elliot.... Nothing is catching my eye as I scan the listings; can anyone recommend something that is perhaps new, or not as well known that I may be missing.

Horwich, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Theatre recommendation - opposite of War Horse

Jersey Boys is a fantastic show, fantastic music, knew every song, we saw it in Vegas, and have booked to see it in London, the day after we see Warhorse, in a few weeks time. Two totally different shows but Hopefully both as good as each other.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,711 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Theatre recommendation - opposite of War Horse

The total opposite to War Horse is Shrek, playing just down the road in the Royal. After the show be sure to go to the Nell opposite, have a pint and laugh.

"I'm a Believer"

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
73 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Theatre recommendation - opposite of War Horse

Legally Blonde was a fun bit of fluff (saw it on Broadway, but I'm sure it's the same in London).

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
964 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Theatre recommendation - opposite of War Horse

If you're going this summer, the comedy "Much Ado About Nothing" is playing at Shakespeare's Globe and at the Wyndham.

Both productions are receiving positive reviews, especially the one at the Globe, though the Wyndham has some big names in lead roles. Lots of laughs with the witty war of words and some physical comedy tossed in for good measure. The only problem might be getting seats if you're going soon.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Theatre recommendation - opposite of War Horse

Thanks for the replies! I'm going in October, and thought of seeing something at the Globe, but I am having problems getting the schedule to load on the website. Perhaps it just isn't available that far in advance?

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
964 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Theatre recommendation - opposite of War Horse

Sadly, Shakespeare's Globe Theatre season ends in the first weekend of October as it's an open-air theater and the weather is less likely to cooperate.

Irish in...
Level Contributor
309 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Theatre recommendation - opposite of War Horse

Have you considered Stomp? Or check what is on in the Royal Albert Hall as it is spectacular there. South Bank may have something of interest either.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
846 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Theatre recommendation - opposite of War Horse

Lend Me A Tenor is light, fun and hilarious. It's a new musical which opened in the last month. I saw it on Tuesday and can recommend.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
846 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Theatre recommendation - opposite of War Horse

Lend Me A Tenor is light, fun and hilarious. It's a new musical which opened in the last month. I saw it on Tuesday and can recommend.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Theatre recommendation - opposite of War Horse

It looks like the last show at the Globe is Doctor Faustus the afternoon I arrive early in the morning, after an overnight flight. I worry that, if I book a seat, I may fall asleep and if I book a yard ticket, I may end up leaning on the person beside me. Perhaps I will try it anyway. Lend Me a Tenor also sounds good. I've actually seen most of the other shows that are being recommended! Perhaps I need a new hobby?