We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Priceline Finsbury/Islington

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Priceline Finsbury/Islington

I'm been bidding on Priceline for a few weeks and nothing is coming up, the dates I'm coming in mid July seem to be extremely busy. However, many of the hotels that appear on Priceline seem to still have availability and the area that is coming up cheapest at retail prices is Finsbury/Islington. The two listed as 4* on Biddingfortravel are (of course I'm not guaranteed either of them but I'm guessing there aren't any other 4* properties in that area):

Hilton London Islington (near Angel)

Crowne Plaza London Shoreditch (near Liverpool Street or Old Street)

Would either of these locations be unsafe for me and my 17 year old niece? I'm guessing the latest we'd be out is post theater so 10:30 or 11pm. I've been through Liverpool Street during the day and the area doesn't seem bad. I don't think I've ever been to the Angel station.

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Priceline Finsbury/Islington

None of the particular hotels listed are in unsafe areas.

The Highbury & Islington area is very wide ranging, some districts are exclusive, some are the other extreme.

This year the clever thing was to book back at the start of the year when people were able to get rooms much.much cheaper direct than the bidding sites at the last moment.

At the momemt in London its not how much you pay for a hotel its if you can get a room.

If you can delay your trip a couple of weeks into August the UK kids will be on holiday and much of the key business, conference and trainmg market dies a death so the kind of chain hotels Priceline tends to use will be struggling to fill many of their hotels and will probably have released blocks of rooms to the likes of Priceline that they know they would otherwise be left unoccupied..

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,123 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Priceline Finsbury/Islington

The Hilton in Islington is just off Upper Street: full of shops, services and people going about their daily lives. The Crowne Plaza is in Shoreditch High Street, busy but not exceptionally noisy, Both are worth a go and neither are in areas that are unsafe.

Both are well situated for transport, with lots of buses along with the Underground; Shoreditch High Street and Hoxton Overground stations are handy to the Crowne Plaza. In the second link, stop N is just steps from the main entrance of the CP.

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…islingtonangel-2142.pdf

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/…

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,956 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Priceline Finsbury/Islington

Both of these are much better locations than the tourist haunts. Neither are unsafe and the Hilton in particular is in a great area. Be careful as I believe that the Thistle Barbican is also in the same bidding area amd it is a travesty that this gets described as 4 star.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,459 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Priceline Finsbury/Islington

If you're unlucky with your bids you could consider going to 3*, as I've found it's pretty safe to do this in London. The 3* hotels on Priceline tend to be modern chains that are little different from 4* in many respects, perhaps lacking full restaurant facilities and other extras, the absence of which would make little difference to most visitors. You can also get 4* too, of course, even if you bid for 3*. A few weeks ago I bid £50 for a 3* and got Hilton Paddington. Going 3* certainly opens things up a bit when it looks as though nothing is available and helps you stick to your preferred areas.

London
Level Contributor
759 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Priceline Finsbury/Islington

The Hilton in Angel is in a good spot, I've stayed a few times though and wouldn't really call it a 4*. It's a pretty souless business style hotel although the rooms are very clean and comfy.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Priceline Finsbury/Islington

Thanks for the responses everyone, it might be interesting staying in a new neighborhood, I always seem to stay in Kensington or Paddington. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that London is busy in July but the last time I went in late July/early August, it didn't seem any busier than any other time I had been to London. Maybe those couple of extra weeks made the difference. Afraid the dates are set, I do have a cancellable hotel booked (Premier Inn Kensington Olympia) but am not thrilled with the price of it.

I thought about dropping to 3*, the Copthorne Tara was knocked down to 3* and I've stayed there several times and it was fine. But then I had a look at Finsbury/Islington and it really wasn't too inconvenient for what we are doing, Camden, the Tower, the Eurostar to Paris, the east end markets. Maybe I'll have a go at a 4* in F/I and if that doesn't work, try the 3* in Kensington, I don't see any on the BFT list that are horrible.

On BFT, someone did imply that in busy times you had to wait until about 3-4 days out from travel to get the really cheap rates. The Hilton Paddington, Metropole and the one in Islington all still have rooms at retail prices.

7. Re: Priceline Finsbury/Islington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 21:16