We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Itinerary For Review: First Trip with Teens

Calabasas...
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
London Itinerary For Review: First Trip with Teens

We are a family of five with three teens, 15-16 years old. Our first trip to Europe together in August will include five full days in London. We will be staying in a flat near Leicester Square. We want to see all the major sites during the day, leaving most evenings free for dinners, music/theatre and strolls. I am struggling a bit with the intinerary which I post here. Please provide me with any comments or suggestions. Thanks!

Saturday, Day 1. Fly into Heathrow at 12:05pm. Arrive at rental flat mid afternoon. Walk around the west end, go to London Eye.

Sunday, Day 2. Take a sightseeing bus tour around London. Go to Camden Lock Market. Walk around the east end.

Monday, Day 3. Tower of London. Westminster Abbey. House of Parliament. Walk around Westminster.

Tuesday, Day 3. British Museum. British Library. Platform 9 3/4.

Wednesday, Day 4. Buckingham Palace. St James Park. Churchill and Cabinet War rooms. National Gallery.

Thursday, Day 5. St Pauls. Walk around the city. London Bridge. Globe Theatre.

We would also like to cruise up the Thames to Greenwich. How could we squeeze this in?

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Itinerary For Review: First Trip with Teens

I would go to Greenwich on your Monday. I would do this way:

Tower of London (first thing in the morning to avoid queues)

DLR to Greenwich for lunch

River Cruise to Westminster

Walk Westminster area

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,566 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Itinerary For Review: First Trip with Teens

Day 5 -I think it is Tower Bridge you want to see - (the one by the Tower of London that opens )-so its possible to see it the day you are at the Tower

London
Level Contributor
19 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Itinerary For Review: First Trip with Teens

It looks like a really good and varied itinerary, and you have managed to pack a lot into a few days. Just a few thoughts:

a. you may want to consider bring flexible about the timing of your London Eye visit. You can of course book tickets in advance, but then you are stuck with the weather and if it is grey or cloudy you don't get such a good view. The downside of not booking, of course, is queuing and maybe having to wait. Guess it all depends how patient you are!

b. as you seem to like galleries and museums, you might like to squeeze in the National Portrait Gallery, which is literally right behind the National Gallery. It's not quite as well known, but has a remarkable collection and is well worth a visit. It also has a lovely restaurant for lunch, overlooking Trafalgar Square.

c. if you like to spend time walking, you might like to consider one or two guided walking tours which help you navigate what is a pretty vast city. There are lots on offer, each with a different emphasis or theme.

Hope that helps!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London Itinerary For Review: First Trip with Teens

Day 5 - rather than London Bridge, did you mean the Millennium Bridge? This is the bridge that had to be rebuilt because it swayed too much and forms a rather convenient link between St Paul's and the Globe Theatre (and the Tate Modern). Tower Bridge is some distance from St Paul's but suppose it's a matter of how much of the City you wanted to explore. London Bridge might be a good choice of river-crossing point if you wanted to visit Southwark Cathedral and/or Borough Market.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
360 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London Itinerary For Review: First Trip with Teens

I'm not a london expert, but I have 3 teens as well. and I was thinking that if the weather is nice, you might skip a few museums on tuesday and take a side trip into the countryside. there are almost an endless number of great trips you can do out of London which might be a nice break from all the days in the city.

Calabasas...
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London Itinerary For Review: First Trip with Teens

Thank you, great idea. Do you think we could squeeze in Westminster Abbey that day after Greenwich?

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,016 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London Itinerary For Review: First Trip with Teens

I would see the Imperial War Museum over the Churchill War Rooms.

Added bonus--it's free.

http://london.iwm.org.uk/server/show/nav.182

I would also council you to stay flexible on the Eye. If the visibility is poor, or it's raining, I wouldn't spend the money to go until it's better.

Calabasas...
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London Itinerary For Review: First Trip with Teens

Thank you for your suggestions. Appreciate it!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London Itinerary For Review: First Trip with Teens

I agree with others that your itinerary is looking good. A couple of comments:

---if you go to Greenwich after the Tower of London, you won't have time to tour Westminster Abbey, The Abbey closes for touring at 3:30 p.m. on most Mondays. FYI, it's a good idea to check the Abbey's web site for opening times on the specific day you're planning to visit. Although the Abbey has "usual" opening times, the hours do change--sometimes at short notice---depending on events. You can check here: westminster-abbey.org/visit-us/…

---just for a different perspective, I prefer the Cabinet War Rooms/Churchill Museum to the Imperial War Museum. I think the Cabinet War Rooms are just a bit more "unusual" than the IWM. However, you won't go wrong either way: both places are top notch.

---I second the suggestion for a stop at the National Portrait Gallery. It's well worth a quick stop. If you're interested, you might swap your day 4 (Wednesday) and day 5 (Thursday) plans. The National Portrait Gallery is open until 9 p.m. on Thursdays (and Fridays), so that would give you some more time.

Enjoy your trip!

10. Re: London Itinerary For Review: First Trip with Teens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 04:17