We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Katherines Dock

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
317 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
St Katherines Dock

Is this the sort of place for a group of 40-50 year old ladies wanting some food and a few drinks.

We would like a bit of atmosphere and a few bars.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Katherines Dock

Not in my opinion, but I am positive others will disagree.

Where are you staying ? London is full of places much better than there.

London
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Katherines Dock

You're absolutely right Mr Cellophane! I think that it's a good idea. The main bar is the Dickens Inn but there are also some restaurants. It's nice during the summer when the evenings are light, maybe less so in the winter

http://www.skdocks.co.uk/restaurants/

Edited: 04 July 2011, 20:17
West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
317 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Katherines Dock

We are staying at grange tower hotel. Where would you recommend? Which area and any good restaurants, not too expensive.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Katherines Dock

How expensive is not too expensive?

It's a bit of a deadish area on a Saturday, there are a few restaurants about but not so many lively bars etc. You could consider heading up to Shoreditch or down to London Bridge.

Restaurants near to the hotel that I would recommend include Cafe Spice Namaste and Rosemary Lane.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,752 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Katherines Dock

St Katherine's Dock is fine. You could also cross Tower Bridge and head to Shad Thames which has a number of cafes and restaurants with alfresco eating/drinking if the weather is fine.

D&D which has various sites at Shad Thames does regular offers, there is also a Brown's a few other places.

www.danddlondon.com/…

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,752 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Katherines Dock

The alternative is to head toward Covent Garden - about 15 minutes by bus (the no 15) from Tower Hill to the Strand.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Katherines Dock

Covent Garden was going to be my suggestion also. Much livelier and much more choice.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Katherines Dock

15 minutes from Tower Hill to the Strand on the No.15 bus is very optimistic; admittedly it's an interesting route with lots to see, but if the traffic's bad, the journey to the Strand could easily take 45 minutes. I'd get on district or circle line westbound at Tower Hil and get off at Temple. Covent Garden is 5 mins on foot from there. I recommend Christophers at the bottom end of Wellington Street for chic cocktails in the bar. Although there's a very nice cocktail bar at Tower Hill too - Skylounge on the top floor of the Mint Hotel. It has fantastic views and is particularly nice on a warm evening.

If you like Indian food, Cafe Spice Namaste is a great suggestion for dinner close to where you're staying. There's another very good Indian (with a particularly nice bar, which does cocktails and has outdoor seating) near Liverpool Street (2 stops by tube, or you could easily walk) called Cinnamon Kitchen.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,752 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Katherines Dock

I do the bus from TH to CG on a very frequent basis,which is why I say 15 minutes (particularly at the times and likely days the OP will be travelling). It is true that traffic can be bad on the Strand but the OP can get off here for CG to avoid the rush.

10. Re: St Katherines Dock

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 September 2012, 16:05