We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AAA discount on London Pass

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Connecticut
Level Contributor
561 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
AAA discount on London Pass

Has anyone successfuly tried the AAA promotion code on the London pass? I googled intensively for it (showyourcard). It is 10% off.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,472 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: AAA discount on London Pass

Still doesn't make it worth it.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,397 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AAA discount on London Pass

Yes, please have a look at the marvelous spreadsheet hoogoo has prepared to show the attractions covered (some of which are free already, some of which may have no interest for you). Also, you can frequently get a better deal using the 2-4-1 offers by buying a travelcard from a rail station.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k44961…

Connecticut
Level Contributor
561 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AAA discount on London Pass

Thanks, Laura! I actually did look at the spreadsheet and did some extensive calculations. It only seems worth it if I get the 10% off with the AAA discount and for three consecutive days do two higher priced covered attractions per day. I think I calculated that I could save 15 GBP per person (actually 12 if you back out the price of mail to the US). I have been reading about the travelcard option and it seems so complicated!

If I want to see, say, the Tower of London and I am staying in London, I would not be getting a rail ticket, right? I would need a same day rail ticket for each site, if I read the information correctly...and I may not be reading it correctly, so I stand to be corrected.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,731 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AAA discount on London Pass

The 241 is both more cost effective and cheaper but only if 2 people are travelling. You just get a paper travelcard (for London buses, tubes etc) from a rail station such as Victoria, Paddington and so on, You choose which attractions you want to go to and fill in a voucher, That's it. Nothing has been prepurchased so you go to as many or as few as you want and don't need to miss out on lots of free attractions which the LP either omits or fraudulently implies are covered by the Pass.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,397 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AAA discount on London Pass

Yes, please let us know what you want to see, as it's virtually impossible to make the London Pass pay in only three days.

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AAA discount on London Pass

http://www.visitlondon.com/ has the London Pass for 10% off, £64.80 for 3 days without the travel option plus £5.95 for shipping. Remember not to buy the insurance for another 4.5%.

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
970 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AAA discount on London Pass

Can you not still collect the London Pass in London to avoid shipping? I'm one of the folks in the minority here who feel they got their money's worth from the LP, but also bought it at a discount. Don't get the travel part of the LP, as you don't need travel outside zone 2 - just get an Oyster with PAYG for the tube and buses.

However, and this is a BIG however - you'll be rushing about to make the LP worthwhile and you'll miss a lot of free sights, as mentioned by parklandwalk. If you're going to be in London a lot longer than your pass, it might be worthwhile. However, if you're only going to be there 3 days, I don't think I'd spend all of my time on the LP sights only, but you have to in order to make it worthwhile.

I also figured we needed to see at least 2 big sights per day to make it pay off, and we did (as well as others scattered here and there). I never even knew there was an Alexander Fleming museum until I saw the LP booklet - that pretty much made it worthwhile for me! ;-) But there was a whole lot of rushing involved to get from place to place. We still spent as much time as we would have when there (5 hours in the Tower, for example), but dashed from one place to the next. No sitting around people-watching. But we got to slow down and do all the other stuff after the LP expired.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
561 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AAA discount on London Pass

So, if I get a one day travelcard, I buy it at a rail station, but can use it on the tube and buses and thus have the required paper ticket to pair with a voucher? That seems easy enough! You may have made a convert out of me ;)

Ok here are my LP calcuations for three consecutive days of sites; I included the prices and some of them may be internet specials:

day 3 of trip; Westiminster Abbey 16

day 4 of trip: Hampton Court 13.50 and Wimbledon 20

day 5 of trip: Tower of London 17 and St. Paul's 14.50

If my math is correct: 81 GBP; LP is 72 without travel, less 10% AAA discount is 64.80; savings of 16.20 per person if I pick it up, but minus 5.95 if I have it shipped.

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AAA discount on London Pass

If there are an even number of you and you take advantage of the Days Out 2 for 1 offers then:

day 3 of trip; Westminster Abbey 16*

day 4 of trip: Hampton Court 7.25 and Wimbledon (tour) 20*

day 5 of trip: Tower of London 9 and St. Paul's 14.50*

With no 2 for 1 offer on the marked (*) attractions, the Days Out total is £66.75. You are better off with the London Pass. With two or more of you you could afford to have the passes shipped.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
561 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AAA discount on London Pass

Thank you for doing the calculation, hoogo! This board is soooo helpful!