We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Traveler Itineray for Review and Questions

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
58 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Solo Traveler Itineray for Review and Questions

I have been reading this forum since May, getting ideas for my own upcoming trip to London. Since it is now a little over a month away, I thought I would post my itinerary for review and comment. I have read so much wonderful advice and learned many things, but I still have a few questions! I apologize in advance for the length of this post!

I will be flying into London, and then taking a train to York for three nights, then returning to London for seven nights before flying home. I last visited England 10 years ago, so I have seen certain things but would like to revisit the ones I don’t remember very well and also see new places. I tried to group things together by area, so as not to backtrack across the city.

Sunday, August 21: Day One – flight departs US

Monday, August 22: Day Two – flight arrives @6.40am. My train to York leaves at 1:08pm; I was thinking to take the Tube to Kings Cross, drop my luggage off at left luggage, and then visit the British Library. There is an 11am Viewing Gallery tour at the Library – has anyone done this? Of course it would depend on what time the plane actually lands, and how quickly I can get out of Heathrow.

Days Three, and Four will be in York.

Thursday, August 25: Day 5 – train arrives in London at 12.30pm; I will be staying at the LSE dorm High Holborn at 178 High Holborn. I initially thought the tube would be the best, but what are the stairs like? The LSE suggests Tottenham Court stop or Covent Garden, is one better than the other? Drop luggage off at the dorm, then go to the 2pm London Walks Old Westminster Walk. It ends at the Cabinet War Rooms, so then visit those.

Friday, August 26: Day 6 – 9am, Tower of London. Go straight to the Crown Jewels, then take the Yeoman Warder tour. Afternoon, visit the Museum of London. Evening, Ceremony of the Keys.

Saturday, August 27: Day 7 – London Walks Explorer Days, Avebury and Lacock.

Sunday, August 28: Day 8 – London Walks Explorer Days, The Cotswolds

Monday, August 29: Day 9 – Westminster Abbey first thing, then train to Hampton Court Palace. 7pm booking at the Dennis Severs House.

Tuesday, August 30: Day 10 – Sir John Soane’s in the morning, the British Museum in the afternoon.

Wednesday, August 31: Day 11 – Windsor Castle, perhaps walking over to Eton. Victoria & Albert in the afternoon if there is time.

Thursday, September 1: Day 12 – Flight departs at 1pm from Heathrow back to the US.

My questions:

Day 9 is a Bank Holiday, should I not visit Hampton Court Palace that day? I couldn’t decide if I should swap the schedules for Day 9 and 10.

My plan is to get an Oyster card when I arrive at Heathrow, loading some PAYG onto it; then once I arrive back in London on Day 5 I will add a 7day Travelcard for zones 1 and 2 onto it – is this correct?

Any ideas for night activities? I was thinking of a musical one night, and maybe even just going to the movies one night (I think seeing Harry Potter in London would be amazing if it will still be playing!)

Does anyone have a suggestion of where I could fit in a riverside walk? And I’m crazy but I would like to beach comb the Thames if possible…I’ve been reading up on it, and I know London Walks does do walks there, but unfortunately not when I’ll be in London. Has anyone done this before on their own? I may just have to put it on the to-do list for the next trip!

Alta, Norway
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Traveler Itineray for Review and Questions

"Any ideas for night activities? I was thinking of a musical one night, and maybe even just going to the movies one night (I think seeing Harry Potter in London would be amazing if it will still be playing!)"

Maybe you'd enjoy Potted Potter:

www.londontheatre.co.uk/cgi-bin/search.cgi…

Edited: 13 July 2011, 20:25
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,627 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Traveler Itineray for Review and Questions

I would stick with your planned date at Hampton Court Palace, as you will get to enjoy a special event, "The Royal Chase;" displays of horsemanship by Henry VIII, and falconry designed to amuse Queen and her new lady in waiting, Anne Boleyn.

hrp.org.uk/HamptonCourtPalace/…

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Traveler Itineray for Review and Questions

Unless you totally despise classical music, I'd suggest one evening at the BBC Proms at Albert Hall, http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms

Overall, you have an excellent itinerary.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,255 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Traveler Itineray for Review and Questions

I like to go down to Westminster at night just to enjoy the lights on Westminster Abbey, the Houses of Parliament from across the bridge, and the London Eye. (Its very busy until quite late.) You might check some of the other museums for "late night." But usually (as a solo traveller) I just tend to dine later and then walk a bit!

I agree, excellent itinerary. A) includes Avebury B) omits Madame T's.

:-)

Boston...
Level Contributor
58 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo Traveler Itineray for Review and Questions

Thank you so much for your ideas!

ElinV - I'm definitely going to look into that play, it sounds like fun!

Laura RW - Thanks, I will keep my original plan then!

ronw - I've seen people mentioning the Proms on here and weren't quite sure what they were talking about; I do like classical music and that would be a great way to spend an evening - thanks!

vnrose52 - I'll definitely make a point to walk around at night to see everything lit up, thanks!

6. Re: Solo Traveler Itineray for Review and Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 09:16