We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

why were we charged 41.40 pounds for a 7-day travel card ?

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
44 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
why were we charged 41.40 pounds for a 7-day travel card ?

I posted the same question on another forum, maybe I'll get more answers here ? Thanks.

My husband and I arrived at the Kings Cross station and bought (2) 7-day travel cards from a lady person at the train station and charged us 41.4 pounds per card. We thought it was just about 30p but i didn't ask her (my bad) why she was asking for a much higher price. Has anyone experienced this before ? I think the lady is from East Coast and our travel cards say 1st class, london terminals and london zones 1-2. Thanks.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,260 reviews
from US$126.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
457 reviews
from US$105.50*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,086 reviews
from US$149.70*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$301.60*
US$335.10
London, United...
Level Contributor
12,844 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: why were we charged 41.40 pounds for a 7-day travel card ?

'First Class' isn't a TfL designation. Perhaps you've bought train tickets? What, precisely, does it say on the To and From on the tickets?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,644 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: why were we charged 41.40 pounds for a 7-day travel card ?

I can't found a charge/s corresponding to £41.40 for any zones for a 7 day travelcard. And I'm not clear what you mean by 30p (£30?).

A 7 day travelcard for zones 1+2 should have cost £27.60 (per person) plus a refundable £5 charge for an Oyster card if bought on Oyster.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: why were we charged 41.40 pounds for a 7-day travel card ?

It's trains in and out of London that have 'London terminals' printed on them, and it's only trains in and out of London that have a first class option. I think there may have been some misunderstanding here. Do you remember exactly what you asked for and what the person at the ticket window asked you?

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: why were we charged 41.40 pounds for a 7-day travel card ?

Zone 1-4 weekly travelcards are £39.40. Could this have been what you were sold (I know you said £41-40 but the -40 part makes me think it could be what you mean). Or perhaps there is an additional charge that enables you to travel first class on National Rail trains that stop at stations within the London zones. Without knowing what was said it is difficult to tell.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,386 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: why were we charged 41.40 pounds for a 7-day travel card ?

£41.40 IS the price of a first class travelcard from Kings Cross to zones 1-2 - so you can travel first class on trains where it is available

Why she sold you first class - no idea.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,644 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: why were we charged 41.40 pounds for a 7-day travel card ?

<<£41.40 IS the price of a first class travelcard from Kings Cross to zones 1-2 - so you can travel first class on trains where it is available>>

This is not correct and nonsensical. There is no 'first class' travelcard of any kind and Kings X is in zone 1 so there cannot be a travelcard from Kings X to zone 1/2.

There may be a first class ticket to/fro Kings X with a travelcard for zones 1-2 added which come to £41.40 which is about the only explanation. Unless the OP can clarify what he/she has been sold we are still in the dark on this one

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,386 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: why were we charged 41.40 pounds for a 7-day travel card ?

It DOES exist - I've priced it on the national rail website season ticket calculator. It's one of the options that comes up for Finsbury Park -

London Terminals to Finsbury Park (FPK) first class £21.90

London Kings Cross (KGX) to 1-2 7 days first class £41.40

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,844 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: why were we charged 41.40 pounds for a 7-day travel card ?

Yup, it's a 7 Day First Class Season ticket from KX to Zone 2. I can't imagine they sell many of those.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: why were we charged 41.40 pounds for a 7-day travel card ?

Do any trains which stop in Zone 2 have 1st class seating ?

Skipton, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: why were we charged 41.40 pounds for a 7-day travel card ?

Finsbury Park, which has First Capital Connect services stopping there will have first class seating.