We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prettiest Towns around London.

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nebraska
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Prettiest Towns around London.

What are some of the prettiest towns around or outside of London? Would going from Oxford to Bath be a good way to see some of the Cotswolds?

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,640 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prettiest Towns around London.

Are you planning a trip by car? How long is this trip? (1 night, two nights, 1 day)

Nebraska
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Prettiest Towns around London.

Just day trips. Would any of these be possible by trains or would they have to be by car? Thanks

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,243 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prettiest Towns around London.

Suggest you post on the Cotswolds forum but FWIW I'd look at an organised tour with some one like cotswold roaming or hire a car.

http://www.cotswold-roaming.co.uk/

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,640 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prettiest Towns around London.

Oxford is a day trip, Bath is another trip. I would not recommend seeing them in a meaningful way in the same day, and I certainly wouldn't include the Cotswolds as an add-on to either.

Bath can be done by train, or tour, likewise Oxford. I am not a tour minded person, so I tend to like to take the train and see it at my own pace--advance tickets are what you'll want to look for for these destinations.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

For the Cotswolds, part of the charm is that this feels like a part of the world that time left behind. Small villages, rolling countryside, and very few train stations. You can take a train to say, Moreton-in-Marsh, but it is not what most would consider to be the best of the Cotswolds.

When we visit the Cotswolds, we spend our time driving through (or hiking, or biking) the countryside and small villages. It's a place to explore, not a place to stay put in. For that, unfortunately, the ideal is to have a car.

It can be done by public transport, but this is more time consuming, and would not be a day trip.

Coach tours through the Cotswolds are available, but you must ask yourself if the bucolic charm would be marred in your eyes by a coach load of tourists.

Edited: 21 July 2011, 18:05
England, United...
Level Contributor
3,616 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prettiest Towns around London.

Agree that to make the most of the Cotswolds you really need a car.

Some other suggestions of pretty towns within reach of London:

Cambridge: Beautiful and lively, and easy to walk around.

Rye in East Sussex: Ever so pretty and very popular.

Canterbury: Historic place and agreeable centre.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prettiest Towns around London.

Cotswold Roaming mentioned above start from Oxford and will return you to Oxford at about 6 o'clock, which leaves you some time in summer to look around Oxford and perhaps go to the theatre or have a meal in a restaurant.

You can certainly get a train from London Paddington to Moreton-in-Marsh in the Cotswolds, and then a bus or taxi to Chipping Campden,which is one of the best-known and prettiest small towns in the Cotswolds. Afterwards you can take a bus from Chipping Norton to Stratford-upon-Avon and back to London but you do have to time it just right because the buses are reliable but infrequent.

Edited: 21 July 2011, 19:26
Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prettiest Towns around London.

A little further and by train is Stamford with the bonus of Burghley House next door.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prettiest Towns around London.

Correction: Chipping Camden not Chipping Norton.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Prettiest Towns around London.

Thank you all so much!!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,235 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Prettiest Towns around London.

Come to Henley and enjoy.