We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Dublin: Train vs. Air - the view

Ontario
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
London to Dublin: Train vs. Air – the view

We have not finalized the dates when we are traveling, thus, this is not a questions about cost but more about sights & views & experience.

My husband has not been to England; we will be in London and are planning to go to Dublin for a couple of days. I was considering taking the Train & Ferry to Dublin and then flying back to London. This is because my husband has not seen England/Country Side/Views/ect.; thus, I thought maybe him looking out a train window & taking the ferry would give him a bit more of an experience.

I’ve only gone by bus, so I’m not sure what he’d see out the train window (if anything)…maybe after the 2nd hour, he’d not care about the views & Ferry and wished he’d gone by air – lol.

Your thoughts? Is the Train/Ferry worth it for the experience vs. flying?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,254 reviews
from US$127.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
456 reviews
from US$106.00*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,085 reviews
from US$150.40*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.90*
US$336.60
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,860 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Dublin: Train vs. Air – the view

If it's going to be a quick trip then the best option may be to book with Aer Lingus from LHR or LGW and fly there and back again.

The train from London Euston to Holyhead takes about four hours; see the links below for ferry times and fares. www.stenaline.co.uk www.directferries.co.uk www.aferry.com and www.ferry-to-ireland.co.uk

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
28,861 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Dublin: Train vs. Air – the view

I'm a ferry person.

www.seat61.com/Ireland.htm

Italy
Level Contributor
39,506 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Dublin: Train vs. Air – the view

No, I would definitely fly.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,726 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Dublin: Train vs. Air – the view

Modern flying is often a souless and stressful experience. In this case, even with all the trains and buses to the airport, and a 2 hour check-In it might get you to Dublin before the train and ferry, but the train and ferry (having done it many times) is a lovely ride and rather more relaxing!

The 09.10 from London Euston station in central London (08:50 Sats, 08:15 Suns) gets you to Holyhead in 3 hours 40 mins with WiFi, sockets for laptops and mobiles, views of Chester City Walls, then along the beautiful North Wales coast often running close to the sea, right by the dramatic Conway Castle, past Telford's road suspension bridge and over Stephenson's Britannia rail bridge onto Anglesey, then past Llanfair PG, the station with the longest name in Britain ( don't ask me it's full name!). It's a fast modern air con Voyager train.

Then you take either the 13:50 Stena Adventurer arriving Dublin Ferryport 17:05 or (my recommendation) the Irish Ferries superb ship 'Ulysses' at 14:05 to Dublin Ferryport arriving 17:25. The Ulysses is a luxurious cruise ferry, for an extra £16 you can use the Club Lounge with superb views forward of the coast of Ireland approaching as you sip complimentary red or White wine, tea or coffee, cheese crackers and smoked salmon canapés.

The London to Dublin fare is £33, any day, any date, and that's fro

Central London with zero checkin and no baggage limits or extra fees.

The train fare from central London to Stansted airport is £21 on it's own without the flight cost, London to Stansted or Heathrow airports costs £14,

Personally, I love this traditional, relaxed journey from England to Wales to Ireland, and I put it to good use using my laptop on the train with a coffee or two, then reading, relaxing with a good book and a glass of red on the cruise ferry.

If you're in a rush, fly, but if you can use some feet-up time whilst getting a ground level view of the journey to the Emerald Isle, definitely consider the train and ferry.

Www.RailEasy.com or www.thetrainline.com can sell you a ticket.

Edited: 25 July 2011, 16:01
Ontario
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Dublin: Train vs. Air – the view

Great, thank-you for your replies.

We usually find flying stressful - luggage and getting to the airport very early incase of traffic. Though, since we plan on staying within 5 min. of the train station, that may just be the better choice for us.

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Dublin: Train vs. Air – the view

We haven't gone as far as Holyhead, but took the train from London to North Wales. I LOVED looking out the window the entire time and watching the countryside. Hubby read and napped, which he probably would have done on a plane, but we had more room on the train!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,575 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Dublin: Train vs. Air – the view

For the experience, train/ferry. Definitely! And going by bus is no comparison, the train is speedier and you can get up and stretch your legs when you need to.

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Dublin: Train vs. Air – the view

I think it is a nice journey to get the ferry, but it depends how long you are staying in london for long? as the train and ferry are nice but it does take quiet a long time which can be tiring in itself, and a flight from dublin to luton is only 50mins your up and before you know it your on your way back down and from luton the overground brings you straight to the city.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London to Dublin: Train vs. Air – the view

yes, a flight is only 50 mins but you still have to be there two hours prior, both ends, train/ferry for me.

London
Level Contributor
10,754 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London to Dublin: Train vs. Air – the view

" a flight is only 50 mins but you still have to be there two hours prior "

Not always... Cityjet minimum check-in is 15 minutes at LondonCity and 30 minutes at Dublin. If speed is important, the plane wins hands down.

Personally I couldn't imagine using most of a day on train/ferry for this route - but as you see from the posts above, many others would disagree with me !