We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Store sales

Christchurch
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Store sales

We are planning to visit London and other parts of England in May next year. I realise that the usual store sales will most likely not be on in May/June but I am wondering whether there are chain stores and the like that regularly hold "sales" throughout the year.

Here in NZ we have a number of department and speciality stores that discount goods by 10% to 50% at least once a month or more often in a bid to attract customers. We locals know to wait for these "sales" when needing to buy something rather than pay their inflated "normal price".

Are there stores like this in London or England?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,332 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Store sales

I don't think I've visited a London shop in the last few years that hasn't had some lines available at reduced prices. Turnover is quick at shops and goods that don't move at first will be marked down to encourage their journey out the door in the customers' bags.

You might find small reductions on summer goods when travelling in May; anything left from winter or spring lurking on a sale rack should be seriously marked down.

space coast, fl
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Store sales

I agree with TP. I head straight to the sales racks when I arrive in early June! My favorite is the Wallis clothes. Great quality, and they fit me well!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,942 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Store sales

Sale or no sale, Primark are always thronged.

space coast, fl
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Store sales

I don't like Primark. Except leggings, socks and camisoles. The stores are soooo packed, and such a mess. Not worth my time, unless almost empty inside.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Store sales

Debenhams often have sale weekends throughout the year

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Store sales

You can also try H & M and New look for bargains.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Store sales

Thanks all.

Going by the replies it sounds like this "sale" custom is not a nasty habit shared by the shops in London at least. Whilst I enjoy sales I resent the "normal" prices being highly inflated in the first place in order to accommodate them. End-of-season and end-of-line cleanouts are a completely different matter.

8. Re: Store sales

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 02:17