We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oyster charge for arrival day

North, South...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Oyster charge for arrival day

Plane lands at Heathrow at 6:30 am on Friday (July 29). I'm assuming we'll be on the Tube to Central London by 9:30 and so peak travel. Need to go to Paddington. I'm looking at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx. Also plan to to Zone 1 sightseeing the rest of the day but starting after 9:30. So, what's the max that we'll be charged. Is it the peak single zone 1-6 fare of £4.50 + the off-peak price cap of £6.60? In other words, £11.10?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,332 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oyster charge for arrival day

Off peak journeys start at 0931 on weekdays. If you board the Underground at Heathrow before that time for travel to central London then use the Tube, buses or DLR a few more times on the 29th the daily cap should be as you say, £4.50 (for the single from LHR to central London) plus the off peak cap of £6.60.

But the Piccadilly line to the city centre will be very busy from Acton Town (if not from a station further west) to the city centre if you board the train at 0800 or so. Alighting at Hyde Park Corner which has an escalator up from train platform to ticket hall then a ramp up to street level may be a wise choice for the journey as if you sit in the first car of the train you'll be nearest the way out at that station.

What is your destination near Paddington?

North, South...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Oyster charge for arrival day

The destination is the Hilton Paddington, where we were fortunate enough to snag rooms for $100 + tax a night. Yes, I'd love to hear the switch lines assuming the plane gets in on schedule at 6:30 at Heathrow on a Friday morning. I do realize it depends on when we clear customs and immigration. For economy reasons (there are three of us, all fit adults), I'd prefer the tube to the other forms of transportation (Heathrow Connect / Express)

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,485 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oyster charge for arrival day

The tube is my normal first choice travelling from Heathrow into London. But given how awkward it is to get to Paddington, I would consider the extra £4 per person for the Heathrow Connect to be money well spent.

North, South...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Oyster charge for arrival day

I didn't realize the difference was £4. So, it would be £12 for the three of us. Our plan was to change at Hammersmith and take the Hammersmith and City line to Paddington. We'll have 1 rolling suitcase + 1 carry on each and since we arrive at 6:30 at Heathrow this will be rush hour and I guess it would be very impractical to attempt the change over at Hammersmith? Is it practical at all for relatively fit adults with baggage to attempt to take the tube from Heathrow to Paddington during this time of day? Thought I'd ask before deciding to bite the bullet and pay the extra £12.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,843 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oyster charge for arrival day

Unfortunately, there's a problem, in that the District (& Circle) line that leads to Paddington from Earls Court is closed completely (from High St Ken) for track replacement until 23rd August. This makes the tube journey more difficult.

You could take the Piccadilly line to Hammersmith, and then the Hammersmith & City or Circle line to Paddington. This however requires that you change at street level (Hammersmith actually comprises two station buildings) which can be done step free with a lift. At Paddington you will srrive at the H&C station, platforms 15/16 at the far NW corner of the main line station. There are 28 steps up from the platform, a ramp down but then a long (5-6 minute) walk to the front of the main line station for the Hilton.

For an extra £4 per head, it may be more convenient to take the HEC.

Edited: 27 July 2011, 04:29
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,332 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oyster charge for arrival day

Since Connect is a commuter rail service it too could be busy on the journey from the airport to Paddington.

If you'd like to take the Underground I suggest going to Hyde Park Corner and from there take a taxi to the hotel. Use exit 1 Knightsbridge north side from the station level to street level at HPC as the ramp is neither steep nor long.

You'll find yourselves at a set of three bus stops at street level. Walk towards the roundabout, perhaps even a few metres further into Park Lane, and you shouldn't have too much trouble hailing a cab from there unless it's belting down rain. The fare shouldn't be much more than £7 - 8 to from Hyde Park Corner to the Hilton Paddington.

North, South...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Oyster charge for arrival day

Based on the what has been said in this thread - no easy change at Hammersmith, travel during rush hour and taking a £7 - 8 cab from Hyde Park Corner, it would seem the Connect is a reasonable choice even for someone watching their budget. Since we board at Heathrow and our journey ends at Paddington, should I be unduly concerned about the Connect being busy on this journey? And, what's the protocol to be followed when one has a suitcase and a carry-on since we're coming during rush hour - any special areas in each carriage for bags on the Connect?

Last, but not least, thanks for all the great responses.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,287 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oyster charge for arrival day

Honestly MaramG I'd get the Connect. If you can wait a little, grab a coffee at LHR and board after 9/9.30 that would help but I wouldn't make that a rigid rule.

Alternatively, Heathrow Express has got a summer offer on at the moment as well so worth considering. As HEX trains are more frequent and have better space for airport passengers and their luggage it might be the way to go.

https://www.heathrowexpress.com/

In addition you could easily buy paper travelcards at Paddington which are eligible for a number of attractions which can more than pay for your travel into and around London.

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/

Edited: 27 July 2011, 12:53
Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,485 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oyster charge for arrival day

I have taken the Heathrow Connect on a weekday at about 8 am. Yes, it filled up by the 2nd stop, SRO, but I had a seat with my luggage close by, so no problem.

North, South...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Oyster charge for arrival day

A friend of ours who we will be visiting in London offered this advice:

"You could see how you feel when you land anyway - if you just miss a Heathrow Connect (it's only every 30 minutes), you may want to get the underground rather than waiting. If you go for the underground, you would change at Piccadilly Circus onto the Bakerloo line to Paddington."

As mentioned in my original posting, we're scheduled at Heathrow at 6:30 am on Friday morning. Three relatively fit adults with a suitcase on wheels each and a carry on with destination Paddington. Firstly, even with a 30 minute wait will the Connect still beat the tube to Paddington? If yes, it's a no-brainer to take the Connect. Saving a few minutes is not what we're trying to achieve. Plus I'm not sure if the above person has realized there are bags involved and has even factored rush hour. Anyway, I ask for comment on his suggestion. I do realize the Connect is £4 more per person.