We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Area Around Hackney Rd

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Little Rock...
Level Contributor
6 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Area Around Hackney Rd

We are renting a flat on Hackney Rd, E2. I have just a few questions:

1. We will arrive @Heathrow 8am on a Sunday. What is the best route (bus/tube/train) to get us to the flat?

2. Where are nearby supermarkets and pharmacies?

3. Any restaurant/pub recommendations for the area (we especially like Indian and Thai food, and also like to spend time hanging out in pubs).

4. Best way into Central London for seeing the sites (Westminster Abbey, British Museum, St. Paul's).

5. Safety of the area. My husband will be attending meetings during the day on several days of our stay. Is it safe for a woman to go to and fro alone?

Thanks so much!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,881 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Area Around Hackney Rd

Where in Hackney Road, please? If you have a link to the flat can you provide it as well, please.

The Marksman in Hackney Road (near Hackney City Farm) and the Birdcage in Columbia Road are good pubs, worth a visit.

Shoreditch High Street has a handful of Vietnamese restos with Song Que and Tay Do perennial favourites.

Depending on the location in Hackney Road you may take the Underground to Liverpool Street (Piccadilly line to Holborn and change there to the Central line) and then perhaps as a treat a taxi to your flat.

Hackney has been poorly served by the Underground in the past but there are plenty of buses available - see the links below - plus the very nifty Overground service. tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/… tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…columbiaroadmarket-14561.pdf tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/london-overgroun…

Hackney has had a bad press in the past but things are changing (I don't necessarily think for the better in some ways, but that's just one woman's view) in the borough with a great many hip and fashionable (whatever those two terms mean) people moving there to be ern, hip and fashionable.

Unless you seek out some of the less salubrious estates you're very unlikely to find aggro in most of 'ackney.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
6 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Area Around Hackney Rd

Thank you, so much. It is 349 Hackney Rd.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,881 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Area Around Hackney Rd

Not a bad location I'd say. The number 26 from Bishopsgate at Liverpool Street station will call very near the flat but after a long haul flight a taxi might be the best choice. tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…liverpoolstreet-2161.pdf

Unless you have groceries delivered you'll need to use buses or taxis for a bit of shopping. There is a big Sainsbury's just off Cambridge Heath Road near the junction with Whitechapel Road - the 254 and 106 along Mare Street call at Darling Row for the short walk to the shop. There's also a big Sainsbury's at the shopping centre just across the road from Dalston Kingsland station; most of the buses along Shoreditch High Street will call there. tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…bethnalgreen-2023.pdf

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Area Around Hackney Rd

That's the nicer part of Hackney Road, handy for the city farm & Broadway Market.

There is a Costcutter on Hackney Road that is decent enough for dry goods but I would maybe buy fresh stuff somewhere else. There is also a smaller Tesco near Bethnal Green station that is a bit closer than the branches of Sainsbury's mentioned.

Restaurants in the area: the good Vietnamese places TP mentions are actually on Kingsland Road rather than Shoreditch High St. For Chinese, Gourmet San (Szechuan) on Bethnal Green Road is excellent if you can handle a lot of spice. There is also the very expensive and very fashionable Viajante on Cambridge Heath Rd, which is doing some quite interesting things with flavour. Brawn on Columbia Road is also worth checking out.

The 26 bus will take you to Liverpool St, St Pauls , Aldwych (which is in easy walking distance of Trafalgar Square & Covent Garden) and Waterloo. The 55 bus will take you to Oxford St.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
6 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Area Around Hackney Rd

Thank you both for your help. I can't wait to try out some of the restaurants you have suggested.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Area Around Hackney Rd

One warning, beware of walking into pubs on the Hackney Road without checking them out first, a number of them are dodgy strip clubs and don't always have too much outside to advertise that fact.

London
Level Contributor
64 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Area Around Hackney Rd

A great area although a little rough around the edges.

Check out V&A Museum of Childhood nearby and of course Columbia Road flower market. Whitechapel Art Gallery is a little further.

The nearest supermarket I can think of is the Tesco on Bethnal Green Road - approximately 200m due south of your flat and then a few metres heading East.

There are plenty of local pharmacies.

In terms of food, I would make a trip to Tayabbs - Pakistani food - near Whitechapel station. Delicious meat grills and curries although not much selection if you are vegetarian.

In terms of pubs I liked the Approach Tavern on Approach Road near the London CHest Hospital.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Area Around Hackney Rd

You might enjoy a meal at Cinnamon Kitchen in Devonshire Square. Liverpool St is the closest tube, but it's perfectly walkable too. Very good quality Indian food and also a nice bar with outdoor seating. www.cinnamon-kitchen.com

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
6 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Area Around Hackney Rd

Thank you for those recommendations and the info about pubs. All of this is very helpful.

10. Re: Area Around Hackney Rd

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 00:18