We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest tube travel? Tips please

MAZZYAUDS
Level Contributor
225 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Cheapest tube travel? Tips please

Hi,

I bought my train tickets online this week (advance tickets) which worked out considerably cheaper than getitng them at the station on the day. However I normally add our tube travel to our train tickets and I haven't been able to do this online.

We are in London for one night (two days) and I don't know what the cheapest way to get our tube tickets is? We're just doing the sightseeing so I think we only need zone 1. Can anyone help please?

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest tube travel? Tips please

The cheapest option for you is probably an Oyster card (each) with, say, £10 of PAYG credit on it. There'll be a £5 deposit for each card, which you can get back (along with the unused credit) if you hand in the card at a tube station at the end of your stay.

Please also be aware of the 2-for-1 offers for tickets to some of London's attractions at www.daysoutguide.co.uk - your train tickets will qualify you for those, as logn as you make sure you hold onto both the outward and return tickets for your whole stay.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,270 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest tube travel? Tips please

From what you have written it looks like you are arriving and departing by train (within the UK and not Eurostar), right?

For transport, Oyster cards are the best. They combine pay-as-you-go (PAYG) fares with a daily cap (the same as a one day travelcard). You have to pay a £5 deposit for the card and load the PAYG, but you can get the deposit and unused credit refunded when you leave. For 2 full days load £15 PAYG and you should be covered.

If you keep both portions of the return rail ticket (do not use an automatic ticket barrier when you arrive as those barriers swallow the ticket), you can take advantage of the 2-4-1 offers (from the train operating companies) at several attractions and save money.

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london

MAZZYAUDS
Level Contributor
225 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest tube travel? Tips please

Thanks...I am a little bit confused though. I'm travelling in the UK yes - arriving at Kings Cross.

Do we just need one oYster card with £15 credit on, or one each? We'll probably make quite a few tube journeys so won't our credit be eaten up as it charges per journey? If we do get Oyster cards, do I get these online?

Thanks again

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,328 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest tube travel? Tips please

Each adult travelling needs an Oystercard each. There is a daily cap on what you pay, you buy Oystercards at a Tube station.

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest tube travel? Tips please

You need an Oyster Card for each person.

Get them on the day from Kings Cross Underground ticket office.

There is daily cap of 8 GBP (6.60 GBP weekends and if you travel off-peak during the week) where however many journeys you make the price doesn't go above the cap.

The cap works on a calendar day basis, not a 24 hour duration.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest tube travel? Tips please

If you are going to make enough journeys to reach the cap, it's a waste of time to get an Oyster - the net cost will be the same but you'll have the bother of paying the deposit and getting a refund.

Just get the one day travel cards which cost the same as the daily cap.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest tube travel? Tips please

But with Oyster PAYG there also have the flexibility to go out-of-zone if they need, take a Thames Clipper, etc.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheapest tube travel? Tips please

With a travelcard you get a bigger discount on Thames Clipper than you do with Oyster

But yes I fully agree it depends on what you intend to do.

9. Re: Cheapest tube travel? Tips please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 20:17