We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tickets

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Tickets

Have failed spectacularly to get any tickets for 2012, I now feel disillusioned by the whole thing - especially as a friend from Madrid simple phoned up a ticket agency there and got tickets for both Opening Ceremony and mens 100 mtrs Final.

Most of my London based friends have also failed to get tickets.

Seems to me that those who are footing the bill for the Games are the least likely to be able to attend them

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tickets

But it was a ballot. By the very definition of ballot no-one in London was ever guaranteed tickets, you entered and you were either unlucky (that's me) or lucky to some degree. It's impossible to keep every local happy, there simply isn't the availability to do that.

I think you'll find GreenwichNick is firmly on your side on this issue, but from my point of view, you host the Olympics and you agree to host a lot of visitors, it's a global event with global demand.

It's not (to coin a phrase from Tubbs) "a local event, for local people".

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tickets

Yes, there does seem to have been a misjudging of the number of tickets for which events shuld be offered in which countries. Also, it was not publicised here until after the opportunities had closed that UK citizens could have applied for tickets through any of the EU ticketing outlets.

But I have not become dislillusioned. I have always known that the Olympics is a huge scam to take money from UK tax-payers to subsidise those who pretend to be interested in atheltics, etc.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tickets

Has it been published how many tickets have been made available outside of the UK and also how many corporate hospitality, media and visiting VIP tickets have been set aside

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
100,327 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tickets

I'm with you on this one Steve. No one in my family that applied was lucky in the allocation. In fact I personally do not know anyone that was.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tickets

"Has it been published how many tickets have been made available outside of the UK"

Yes. Many thousands.

Gawd, league of Gentleman all over again. You can't come into these Olympics! This is a local Olympics, for local people! We'll have no trouble here!

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,237 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tickets

I know a few people in London who were successful. I was talking to a colleague about this yesterday and she had got 2 tickets for the Womens' Beach Volleyball and 2 tickets for the Mens' 100 metres final.

It's worth pointing out that a new law has been passed especially for the Olympics that anyone caught selling their tickets will face a fine of £25,000. Not just touts either

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tickets

There was also some deceit from the organisers about making tickets available for people very local to the venues. One of the spokesmen told us in Greenwich that the large number of tickets available for the horse cross-country in the park was a great opportunity for them to make sure that local people having their lives disrupted by the Olynmpics would be able to get to the event, but they have failed to actually honour what many of us naively believed was a committment.

They have gone to great lengths to articifially make many of the events inaccessible to locals who are unable to get a ticket. It's my understabnding, for example, that Horseguard's, where the volleyball is being held, is having disfiguring barriers put up around it, just in case passers by are able to see in without having bought a ticket.

> a new law has been passed especially for the Olympics that anyone caught selling their tickets will face a fine of £25,000 <

Presumably the problem is that they don't want the taxpayer subsidy required to not sell all tickets at their market value (each ticket carries a subsidy from the state of around £600) to just go into private profit. I think, though, that it is unreasonable to do this post hoc, so that people can't sell their own tickets privately but have to do it at face value only through the bureacracy (which I suspect will be making more money for for one of the big businesses cashing in on the whole boondoggle).

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tickets

I'm with GreenwichNick - it's a huge scam designed to extract money from and cause maximum disruption and inconvenience to anyone who lives and works in London. The only silver lining is if you're lucky enough to own an apartment that might be a desirable base for overseas visitors who did manage to get tickets - then you can rent it out for a vastly inflated price to make back some of the money the event will cost you in tax, and leave town for the duration.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,789 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tickets

Another one with Nick. I think someone suggested to Seb Coe that sponsors received about 50% of the tickets for the opening ceremony and other prime sessions. He didn't deny it, but said overall they only got 8% of tickets.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tickets

> then you can rent it out for a vastly inflated price <

People say this, but I never understand how that works.

(1) you need to find reliable tenants and credit check them (not for the rent, which you can take in advance, for for damage to the building)

(2) You need to move all of your own non-furniture belongings out of the house

(3) You need to clear it with your mortgage lender and insurers (and possibly have a hike in premium)

(4) If there is any profit left after all of that, you'll need to pay tax on that.

(5) You need to find somewhere else to live for the duration that still lets you get to work, unless you are in rare position of being able to stand down from work for several weeks, in which case you still need to find somewhere to live.