We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Village Within 2 Hours by Train from London

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Village Within 2 Hours by Train from London

We will be spending a few days in London on our travel to Johannesburg from the USA, and return. We have found a really good airfare flying through Heathrow. We will be doing an overnight in London (about 36 hours) on our outbound journey and 2-3 days in London surrounds on our return. We would like to find a village within an hour or two from the city where we could get around without an auto. We are looking for suggestions on some villages and also what type of accomodation to look for on a budget. Thank you.

Colorado
Level Contributor
59 posts
495 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Village Within 2 Hours by Train from London

Winchester is only about an hour by train and is a very historic medieval town. We went about a year ago, and spent the entire day. http://www.visitwinchester.co.uk/

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,541 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Village Within 2 Hours by Train from London

Hmm. Real villages are very small neighborhoods, not usually close to railway stations, and not with widespread accommodation (the local pub may have a few rooms as a B&B). There are plenty in Surrey and Sussex (Betchworth, Shere) though they may not hit both the public transport and accommodation buttons.

You may want to look at market towns and cities outside London. Winchester is mentioned, also consider Arundel and Rye (both in Sussex). The best village I can think of with good links from London is Goring in Oxfordshire, with Streatley very close by. On the Thames, and also on the Ridgeway national path.

Edited: 30 July 2011, 06:39
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Village Within 2 Hours by Train from London

It depends on what type of town you'd like to stay in, Brighton in the south or Oxford going North.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,527 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Village Within 2 Hours by Train from London

Oxford is to the west of London, Cambridge is to the north.

What OP really needs is a small town or city rather than a village which may lack any facilities except a bus stop.

For reasonably small I'd suggest an old cathedral town / city like Winchester, Salisbury or Canterbury. You might even want to consider Bath or Oxford as although they are somewhat larger they have a direct coach service from Heathrow. There is of course Windsor which the Queen had built to be convenient for Heathrow

Nyeri, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Village Within 2 Hours by Train from London

Hi, i think it would be logistically more difficult to get to a village via train. Two hours on the East Coast Mainline, from Kings Cross Station could get you to York, an ancient walled city, well worth a visit.

I am in Kent at the moment close to West Malling - a charming small town (almost a village). 50 minutes from Victoria Station. Its full of historic buildings, an old abbey, quite a few shops and lots of places to eat.

What about Oxford? Not a village, I know. Still well worth a vista and about an hour from Paddington Station.

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,371 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Village Within 2 Hours by Train from London

My suggestion to add to the list is Tenterden in Kent. You would have to catch a train to either Headcorn or Ashford (then taxi or bus).

www.tenterdentown.co.uk/index.php

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Village Within 2 Hours by Train from London

Another vote for Rye, Canterbury or Arundel.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Village Within 2 Hours by Train from London

How about Ely, technically a city but in reality a small market town with the most amazing cathedral.around an hour and a half from Kings Cross.

Cambs
Level Contributor
628 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Village Within 2 Hours by Train from London

I would echo what USBusinessTraveller suggested. If the OP wants a real village but with good transport links, Goring and Streatley would be ideal as there is a train station in the village with frequent trains to Oxford/London/Reading so that trips from the village are easy.

There are a few B&Bs there (a couple are reviewed on TA) and if the budget is very low, there's a YHA!

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Village Within 2 Hours by Train from London

My, some of the towns menioned are enormous, especially for an OP seeking a village feel.

I'd probably head to Petersfield in Hampshire (1 hour by train), it's a nice small market town in it's own right with a country feel, a few B+Bs, handful of pubs and a few restaurants but if you need ultra cosy village-yness then from there you can catch a bus or taxi to Buriton (only 2 miles away) which is a proper tiny English village complete with duck pond and 2 pubs. The Master Robert does accomodation as does nearby Nursted Farm, the track / road between Nursted and Buriton is straight out of Sleepy Hollow. The South Downs way is nearby for walking.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petersfield,_Hampshire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buriton