We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bank Holiday..get out of London?

colorado
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bank Holiday..get out of London?

Hello! My 18 year old son and I will be spending a week in the London area. The end of our trip coincides with the Aug 29 bank holiday. I am still in planning stages. Should I plan to do our Heavy Duty 3 day sight seeing in London early in our trip ( aug 24-27) and go to Bath and York over that weekend? Or should I reverse the trip and plan to be in the city proper on the bank holiday and start our trip out in the countryside? Thanks in advance to all the great people on this site!!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,234 reviews
from US$140.15*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
1,957 reviews
from US$144.27*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
515 reviews
from US$97.56*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
814 reviews
from US$97.56*
London, United...
Level Contributor
4,281 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bank Holiday..get out of London?

Personally I would avoid travelling on a bank holiday weekend. Stay in London for the bank holiday and then get out to the provinces during the week.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,513 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bank Holiday..get out of London?

The disadvantage of travelling on trains during Bank Holiday weekends (or any weekends, but especially BH ones) is that they often do repair and maintenance of the lines then. You can look up online to see if the particular routes you'll be using are likely to be affected, but generally I'd recommend you make these trips during the week if possible (and you should avoid travelling on the Friday too, as that's likely to be busy).

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bank Holiday..get out of London?

Traffic on the Friday before a Bank Holiday is usually "horrible". And the nicer the weather the more people on the roads. So whichever way you do your trip try to get the "commute" done on the Thursday latest and then spend your weekend where you are.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,898 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bank Holiday..get out of London?

You do realise that Bath and York are at opposite ends of the country and both cities, meaning you'd probably be doing one or the other?

If you are using public transport - trains - check the ticket times and prices. Personally I'd base the order on prices of hotels/trains in either Bath or York and London. (Bath is just about doable as a day trip from London depending on what you want to do once there).

Train operator for Bath:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/

http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/

Cheaper (non flexible/non-refundable) tickets need to be bought in advance and may go quickly as it's a holiday weekend.

Edited: 02 August 2011, 19:48
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,898 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bank Holiday..get out of London?

Missed edit: east coast is operator for York.

london
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bank Holiday..get out of London?

personally I never EVER plan to travel on a bank holiday weekend, which includes the Friday before and often the Tuesday after because everywhere is packed and chaotic, the trains are full, the motorways jam-packed

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bank Holiday..get out of London?

Please try to avoid travelling over the bank holiday weekend. The roads are packed, as are the trains but with the added delight of either a reduced (Sunday) timetable or buses replacing trains due to engineering work. London, however, should be perfectly nice. Virtually everything will be open and operating as usual, but the crowds may be slightly diminished thanks to all the Londoners who had no choice but to travel on their day off and are now stuck on a train or a motorway.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,018 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bank Holiday..get out of London?

That Bank Holiday weekend is also the weekend of the Notting Hill Carnival:

www.thenottinghillcarnival.com/2011.html

And a TALF afternoon tea.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k46284…

Both in London.

As Parkandwalk noticed, going to Bath and to York on the same weekend would be very difficult.

London, United...
Level Contributor
331 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bank Holiday..get out of London?

I would suggest London will be more fun at the weekend, the charms of York will be still apparant in the week. Forget Bath. IMHO.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,018 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bank Holiday..get out of London?

I love Bath!