We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stonehenge, then Bath/Lacock or Oxford/Windsor Castle?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
Stonehenge, then Bath/Lacock or Oxford/Windsor Castle?

Hi everyone, hoping for some advice on which people do.

I just noticed recently that Stonehenge you can't get into the Stonehenge circle and only a few tours allow that. Now I have checked out a few by either Stonehengetours or Evan Evans, but I'm stuck on which to do, so I'm open to some suggestions.

First I see is Stonehenge sunrise, then Bath and Lacock for 92GBP.

Second i see is Bath then Stonehenge sunset for 78GBP.

Third is Windsor Castle, Oxford and Stonehenge sunset for 89GBP.

Which is the best out of those? I'm quite interested in visiting the Harry Potter sets, so that'll be either Lacock or Oxford. But if they are less than spectacular, I'm open to what others think of the locations and which is better. Of course, this is assuming there is still space available in the tours, but it seems to be.

So if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I better book it ASAP.

Thanks

Mansfield, Texas
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Stonehenge, then Bath/Lacock or Oxford/Windsor Castle?

Not sure when you're planning to go, Osmos, but I'll be going on the "Sunrise" Stonehenge, Windsor, and Oxford tour with Evan Evans in a couple of weeks. I can report back on how that goes. But note, as others did for me, that the "sunrise" really just means that you're leaving London at sunrise, not getting to the Circle at sunrise. Although I believe that access to the circle itself is prior to opening to the 'general' public. But I could be mistaken. I'll let you know how it goes.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stonehenge, then Bath/Lacock or Oxford/Windsor Castle?

Thanks for your reply

I'm going to be there Aug 31-Sept 3 in London, so it'll be one of those days. I'll hope to book it today or tomorrow at the latest. I can imagine either sunrise/sunset will be best, but if we can go into the circle, that's all I really ask for right now. I do wish we can actually see the sunrise though.

I was looking at that Evan Evans tour, but it's a sunset one. Either way, I just can't make the decision on which one to go to.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,220 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stonehenge, then Bath/Lacock or Oxford/Windsor Castle?

The latest sunrise for your trip is 6.15am so unless your tours is leaving London around 4.45am, which I doubt you won't be seeing sunrise. Windsor Castle, Oxford AND Stonehenge is way too much in one day IMO (and gets many complaints as a result). Of your choices, Stonehenge and Bath is the most manageable.

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stonehenge, then Bath/Lacock or Oxford/Windsor Castle?

I'd first check that there is any availability on any of the Special Access tours you are considering.

Special Access tickets are now sold out until December so you'll be very lucky if any operator has seats left in early September.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Stonehenge, then Bath/Lacock or Oxford/Windsor Castle?

I think I am leaning towards Stonehenge and Bath for a sunset one, but I was just open to some comments for those that have already been there and know what'll be best. I do believe Stonehenge/Oxford/Windsor Castle in a day will be a bit crammed, but since it was with a tour group, thought it would be somewhat manageable.

And I did think about the availability, but I emailed a few companies and they told me that those tours on my dates are available. Whether or not I'll still be able to book I am not sure, but it's assuming. I got the link to Bath/Stonehenge this morning, so unless they linked me to a tour that was sold out...

London
Level Contributor
60 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stonehenge, then Bath/Lacock or Oxford/Windsor Castle?

Option 3 for best historical value. Leave Bath for another time.

London
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stonehenge, then Bath/Lacock or Oxford/Windsor Castle?

I agree with parklandwalk...Windsor Oxford and Stongehenge in a day is too much. Oxford can easily be done on a day trip from london (an hour by train from paddington).

Bath is a wonderful city as well.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Stonehenge, then Bath/Lacock or Oxford/Windsor Castle?

Thanks for the replies.

The Stonehenge/Bath seems to be with allstarleisures of stonehengetours.com and from reading some reviews, very hit and miss and not a lot know about it. So my plan right now is to do Windsor/Oxford/Stonehenge with Evan Evans for one day (will be rushed I know, but will manage I think).

We also do still want to go to Bath, so what we may consider is taking half another day to go to Bath from London as it takes like about 1.5hours to get there. I'm assuming that time is enough in Bath? Does anyone know what it'll cost to make that trip?

Of course, hoping the tour is still available.

Level Contributor
1,149 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stonehenge, then Bath/Lacock or Oxford/Windsor Castle?

In the recent past I attended an Evan Evans tour: Salisbury, Bath and Stonehenge. I don't suggest this kind of tour unless you are prepared to pay any entrance (more the trip fee you mentioned).

If you are ready I suggest you "Bath and Stonehenge sunset for 78GBP"

You can easily reach Oxford without any guide (btw mine was an old, boring man)

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stonehenge, then Bath/Lacock or Oxford/Windsor Castle?

stonehengetours.com are acting as an agent for Premium Tours, they don't operate anything themselves. All the dates posted are what was available back in January when Premium launched their schedule when probably the web site was last updated

You can book it through this site and put in your credit card details but Premium Tours themselves have sold out all Special Access tours for your dates

Normally I would say phone them and find out, but there doesn't seem to be a phone number or any contact details to do so. Which may be interesting if you enter your credit card details and there is no tour.