We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tube interchange for Excel London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bangalore
Level Contributor
35 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Tube interchange for Excel London

I am visiting Excel for an exhibition in Sept 2011 and the family joins me for a holiday. I wish to stay in the city in a service apartment either on the Dockland Light Railway line, or Jubilee Line. Can anyone please recommend me a service apartment conveniently connected to either of these tube links/ stations?

Is there any other tube line connected to Excel?

Is the Stratford to Canning Town Tube link now commissioned? The website says it was to be commissioned in Summer 2011.

Thanks in advance.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,627 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tube interchange for Excel London

The DLR extension still hasn't been opened but it won't affect travel advice. Excel is served by a couple of DLR stations only. You could stay near Waterloo, Southwark or London Bridge and take the Jubilee line changing at Canning Town or stay near Tower Gateway in the heart of The City (the business district).

I'll let others make some suggestions but knowing your budget and the number of bedrooms needed will allow us to help you further.

London
Level Contributor
9,538 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tube interchange for Excel London

The only public transport line at Excel is the Docklands Light Rail (DLR).

The DLR connects very easily at Canning Town with the Jubilee line, and connects rather badly (because of congested staircase connections) with the Central/District/Circle lines at Bank/Monument station.

The Stratford to Canning Town connection by Jubilee Line has been open and running for a number of years. There will be an additional connection later this month when an additional DLR route is opened - this will have some DLR trains running directly from Stratford to Excel.

However - if you want to stay in central London (which is a good idea as the area around Excel isn't ideal for visitors) then the Stratford connection isn't really relevant.

Bangalore
Level Contributor
35 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tube interchange for Excel London

Thanks for the insight. As a visitor I am tying myself in knots trying to identify suitable accommodation.

Will focus on Jubilee Line for now.

Cheers

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,561 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tube interchange for Excel London

Depending on the size of your family, and your budget, you might want to look at Marlin Apartments. They are serviced and have several locations in East London and the City. The two cheapest are Stratford (which is not a great location for your family), and Limehouse which is quite well situated on the DLR for both your needs.

I've stayed in a Marlin once and found them to be very good. They have a lot of corporate contracts with the financial institutes in the City and Docklands, including my brother's company which is how I heard about them.

http://www.marlinapartments.com

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tube interchange for Excel London

I wouldn't have thought there was any difference between Stratford and Limehouse for access to The Excel and tourist stuff. Stratford has the better Underground links with Central Line to Bank, St Paul's, Oxford Street and Marble Arch and an easy change at Mile End for District Line to Westminster or Jubilee Line direct to Westminster. Limehouse has the DLR and the terrible interchange at Bank to get any where interesting.

And the DLR will be running from Stratford directly to The Excel by September

Edited: 03 August 2011, 20:50
Bangalore
Level Contributor
35 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tube interchange for Excel London

Thanks all of you, these clarifications help. My Budget is 150 Pounds per night for a 2 Bedroom apartment, Marlin currently seems out of my budget, however thanks for the input. any other suggestions on the DLR/ Jubilee line will definitely be welcome.

Cheers

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,843 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tube interchange for Excel London

I'd recommend looking the the Waterloo and Southwark areas. The Jubilee Line has two stations at these locations which means you can get to Excel (changing at Canning Town to the DLR) in about 30 minutes. For your family holiday you have plenty going on in the local area: South Bank, Festival Hall, Tate Modern, Shkespeare's Globe, Millennium Bridge, Borough Market; and you have underground and buses to take you into the West End and City for sightseeing.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,627 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tube interchange for Excel London

TravellerPlus often stays in an apartment block near Tower Gateway DLR that should be within your budget but I just cannot recall the name at the moment.

Hopefully she will be along later or maybe my dinner arriving will act as brain food and I'll be able to remember!

9. Re: Tube interchange for Excel London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 05:17