We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salisbury and London - Stonhenge

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Salisbury and London - Stonhenge

My 2 children (23 and 26) are visiting here in Nottingham from New York. My son really wants to see Stonehenge and we all want to see London. I was thinking of driving from Nottingham to Stonehenge, then taking a train into London for the day...returning to stonehenge to stay overnight in order to see the area the next day and then drive back to Nottingham. When I checked on train tickets they are about over 100 per ticket! Any other suggestions on where we should stay where it would be cheaper for the train? as I certainly do not want to drive into London.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Salisbury and London - Stonhenge

Train tickets from Salisbury (the nearest station to Stonehenge) to London are NOT over £100 per ticket - absolute rubbish

It's £65 to £75 day return* total for all 4 of you on a Groupsave 4 ticket that you can buy on the day (*depending on whether you travel off peak or superoffpeak)

Edited: 05 August 2011, 09:59
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salisbury and London - Stonhenge

Thank you - what website would I use for a group ticket?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Salisbury and London - Stonhenge

You can buy them through First Great Western in this instance. On some routes you can't buy them online.

But they are the same price at the station on the day - not a lot of point buying ahead.

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salisbury and London - Stonhenge

Its worth checking out Megatrain.

They do discounted tickets between Salisbury and London. It will depend on what days and times you are travelling but you might get tickets if you are lucky for £5 or £6

It's quite a good road from Stonehenge into London, takes about an hour to the Heathrow area.

If you have a car why not drive to the outskirts of London, somewhere like Sunbury or Hounslow West where the street parking is free, unlike Salisbury, then get the Underground or commuter train in.

Edited: 05 August 2011, 10:51
Swansea County...
Level Contributor
28 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salisbury and London - Stonhenge

You might be better to do the journey 'the other way around'. Drive to Stonehenge in morning and visit (Stonehenge will take you no more than an hour to go around), have a look round Salisbury - for lunch and the Cathedral at least! Stay o'night in area and catch train to London after breakfast - your cheaper rail tickets normally valid from AFTER 09.30. Suggest either 'FirstGreat Western' or 'NationalRail' for on-line ticket information. Both fairly easy to use. If you havnt experienced London before the train makes sense. Hope that helps...........

Swansea County...
Level Contributor
28 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salisbury and London - Stonhenge

I forgot to add: If you travel into London by rail you become entitled to what are known here as '2for1' offers. Great savings on attractions and eating throughout the capital - you can Google '2for1 London' for details, or the rail ticketing sites will link you

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Salisbury and London - Stonhenge

Megatrain can be cheap (but isn't always - it's more expensive than the groupsave standard rail tickets on this trip) and for Salisbury has the major disadvantage that the first service to London arrives mid afternoon - not much good for a day trip

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Salisbury and London - Stonhenge

At weekends and holidays the first Megatrain schedule is usually at 07:07 getting into London just before 9 a.m. at Waterloo.

August Bank Holiday Saturday schedule its currently priced at £6

The last Megatrain schedule is at 19:20 arriving back at Salisbury 20:42

For 3 adults the return fare is £60 in total.

The following week the same, but there is a later train leaving Waterloo at 21:26

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Salisbury and London - Stonhenge

Thank you all so much for your help.

We decided to drive to Slough (staying at the Airport Guest House) and take the train into London from there. The next day we will drive to Stonehenge. Is there anything we should know about Stonehenge? I heard that visitors are not able to get very close to it??? What else is in the area that is a must see?

Since we only have the one day in London, what are the sites we must see and what should we avoid?

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,729 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Salisbury and London - Stonhenge

If you're driving from Slough, you could make a Neolithic day of it and visit Avebury / West Kennet Long Barrow / Silbury Hill first (Head west on the M4 from Slough, and take the A4 through Hungerford and Marlborough) first, and then travel down to Stonehenge. You could either go via Devizes or 'straight down' and pop into the Barge Inn at Honeystreet / Alton Barnes for a spot of crop-circle spotting and white horse gazing.