We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haddon Hall/Chatsworth doable in a day from London?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
State College...
Level Contributor
11 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Haddon Hall/Chatsworth doable in a day from London?

Hello,

We will be staying in London 21-28 Aug. Is a visit to this area in northern England doable as a day trip by Train. How would one get from the train station to these wonderful homes?

thanks,

Kim

London, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haddon Hall/Chatsworth doable in a day from London?

Was in Chatsworth house last month. It is really great but would be easier by car.

Going from London in a day by public transport is a mission! Haddon Hall is not that near to Chatsworth without your own means of transport. Could you afford to spend a night away - then you could see Chatsworth first day, spend night in perhaps Matlock and see Haddon Hall next day and return to London.

Could you rent a car for the day?

London, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haddon Hall/Chatsworth doable in a day from London?

From Chatsworth house website: http://www.chatsworth.org/visiting/finding-us

Arriving by Train

The closest station to Chatsworth is Chesterfield, approximately 2hrs 15mins from London St Pancras. From here there are good public bus connections to the Chatsworth Estate. To plan your journey please visit National Rail.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Haddon Hall/Chatsworth doable in a day from London?

For a day trip it will be very rushed to do both but like suggested by above post if you stay one night in the area then you can do both. There is lot to see in the Derbyshire area and car will be more easier. You can also post this on the Derbyshire forums.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g186248-i1184-De…

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,270 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haddon Hall/Chatsworth doable in a day from London?

I hate to put you off because they are really good places to see - a real contrast to each other. But they are a more than a little awkward by public transport.

If you decide to beg, borrow or hire a car then also put Harwick Hall on your list. A very grand Elizabethan house 'Hardwick Hall, more glass than wall'.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Haddon Hall/Chatsworth doable in a day from London?

I agree - trying to do both houses by public transport in 1 day from London is not sensible - the opening hours are too short and Chatsworth needs almost a day to do it justice.

If you are visiting Chatsworth, Chesterfield is also normally NOT the best place to alight from a train as there are are no ordinary buses from there that go close to the house - (try taking bus 214 from Sheffield instead).

HOWEVER - if you can travel on a Monday, there is a currently a special bus which meets a specific train from London at Chesterfield - see …thedms.co.uk/Publication/…pr-10-5-11.pdf and eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocum… for further details. Its a bit pricy but probably the best option.

Phil-the-Bus

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,161 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Haddon Hall/Chatsworth doable in a day from London?

You might be able to pre-arrange a taxi from Chatsworth to Haddon Hall, where it could wait as the house and gardens aren't all that large and wouldn't take TOO long. It wouldn't be cheap but it might make things feasible if you could make train connections to/from Chatsworth.

This only occurs to me because the husband at my Bakewell B&B had a taxi and made it clear he could take me anywhere in the vicinity I liked.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Haddon Hall/Chatsworth doable in a day from London?

See also several posts including some on the day-trip options on the Derbyshire forum, just search for Chatsworth.

8. Re: Haddon Hall/Chatsworth doable in a day from London?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 18:17