We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the rioting effecting the tourist spots

hollywood birmingham
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Is the rioting effecting the tourist spots

we are due to travel down on Thursday and unsure whether to go or not now with the riots, especially as we are travelling with children.

Thanks

Niskayuna, New York
Level Contributor
491 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the rioting effecting the tourist spots

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k47124…

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,902 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the rioting effecting the tourist spots

No but it has reached Birmingham:

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-14452468

London, England
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the rioting effecting the tourist spots

No problem; don't change your plans. We live half a mile from one of the reported centres of burglary and arson (Lewisham) and it's as quiet as usual apart from a few distant sirens. The current violence, in several suburban shopping centres, is inprecedented (in that previous disturbances in the 70's and 80's tended only to occur in one suburb) but it's very localised. London's a big place, so I'm sure you'll be OK. Put another way, please don't let the actions of a few hundreds of criminals put you off.

As a parallel, I lived in Brixton - 500 yards from the centre - at the time of their first riots in the 70's. Admittedly before the days of 24hr news, but we weren't even aware til we tuned into the radio the next morning. So fear not.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,318 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the rioting effecting the tourist spots

Most of the rioting is taking place in the grittier suburbs of London where tourists would have no reason to go. I am by St Pauls and haven't heard a siren all night (which is unusual).

I wouldn't let it affect your plans

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,177 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the rioting effecting the tourist spots

We were there this weekend and didn't notice a thing. Even left one of our kids there to spend the rest of the week. Not worried about him, at all.

6. Re: Is the rioting effecting the tourist spots

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2011, 11:33
london
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the rioting effecting the tourist spots

I'd keep an open mind, see how things develop.

Grand Prairie, Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the rioting effecting the tourist spots

I've been here since Saturday and have not seen anything except police responding. While waiting at Westminster Abbey this after noon and at Trafalgar square e saw at least 4 convoys of police vans fully loaded scream by. Still hearing sirens tonight going by in Earl's court, but again have not seen any rioting.

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the rioting effecting the tourist spots

Deramore, perhaps Londoners' view of Belfast during the troubles may also have been influenced by the number of people from there who came to London saying they had to get away from the atmosphere in Northern Ireland.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the rioting effecting the tourist spots

Sorry that you feel that, Deramore (and others, as this is not a private coversation about Anglo- Irish relationships and terrorist street cred). Although I only visited your town occasionally in the 80's and 90's, my wife visited the central Belfast offices of her national charity 4-5 times a year throughout the troubles, and experienced nothing but her hosts' warmth and hospitality- marred by the sad but localised murders and occasional sounds of explosions that failed to prevent many people going about their business.

So returning to the OP's question; let's get this bit of alarming but minority lawlessness (in the context of a London population of millions) into proportion. And don't panic cancel your holidays.