We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to visit the Cotswolds for a day?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best way to visit the Cotswolds for a day?

I have looked into private tours of the Cotswolds and they are just too expensive. The English Bus tour is affordable, but does not depart during our stay.

Can anyone recommend a smaller group tour company that does day trips? Thanks.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,036 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to visit the Cotswolds for a day?

How about hiring a car from Heathrow airport? You won't have to negotiate driving in London, straight on the M4 to junction 18 for Bath or The Cotswolds in just over an hour

Texas
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to visit the Cotswolds for a day?

Or train to Oxford and hire a car there.

Or train to Kingham or Moreton in the Marsh and walk from the stations to nearby villages and stop for a pub lunch. Delightful and far cheaper.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to visit the Cotswolds for a day?

Cheap round trip train journey to Oxford, and take a tour with "Cotswold Roaming" in one of their small coaches

http://www.cotswold-roaming.co.uk/

Or else from London, take Texastrips recommendation and take a train from London Paddington station to Moreton-in-Marsh station, and then take a bus from outside the station to Chipping Campden, which is one of the prettiest villages in the Cotswolds.

I've done both of these trips and enjoyed both of them.

Edited: 09 August 2011, 01:46
West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to visit the Cotswolds for a day?

If you do the second route via Moreton-in-Marsh to Chipping Campden, after looking around it, you can then take another bus from Chipping Campden to Stratford upon Avon and take a train back to London from Stratford. Be aware, though, that the buses are infrequent - miss one and you could be waiting a couple of hours for the next one! The bus drivers will sell you day tickets to let you explore the area by bus.

Edited: 03 November 2013, 16:46
West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to visit the Cotswolds for a day?

If you do the second route via Moreton-in-Marsh to Chipping Campden, after looking around it, you can then take another bus from Chipping Campden to Stratford upon Avon and take a train back to London from Stratford. Be aware, though, that the buses are infrequent - miss one and you could be waiting a couple of hours for the next one!

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to visit the Cotswolds for a day?

Mad Max also does tours out of Bath.

A train to Moreton in Marsh and then a local bus to another village, perhaps a walk between 2 villages, then the bus back to Moreton and train back to London?

ktown

Texas
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to visit the Cotswolds for a day?

If you are a decent walker, you can easily walk from Moreton station via Blockley (another lovely village) to Chipping Camden and back. A really delightful English countryside outing! And you wouldn't have to worry about bus times. Enjoy.

Southington...
Level Contributor
143 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to visit the Cotswolds for a day?

My friend & I did a tour of the Cotswolds last year & booked through Chris Peake at chrispeake@cotswold-tours.com . It was just my friend & I & Chris was fantastic. We communicated via email several times & he is very nice to work with.

We took the train from London Paddington Station to Moreton & Marsh where he met us in his air conditioned Chrysler Van. Comfortable & easy to get in & out of.

The cost was 250 pounds for the tour (for both of us) & the train from Paddington to Moreton was ~27 pounds. He was so great that we added a 50 pound tip at the end of the day.

He asks you what areas you want to see or can recommed an itinerary.

Have a great trip :)

Edited: 12 August 2011, 21:04
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to visit the Cotswolds for a day?

I have been looking into this myself for next May and I am trying to decide between International Friends and Anderson Tours.

Both use small buses but visit Stratford and Oxford also. It seems that they do give enough time to the Cotswolds part of the tour.

Check each of their websites and also check out London Toolkit for information.

Good luck!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to visit the Cotswolds for a day?

You would be far better hiring a car as suggested. It will allow you to cover a wider area and will save you time. By wider area I mean there are quite a few tourist villages worth visiting. In addition to those mentioned you could go to Painswick, Bibury, Burford, The Slaughters, Bourton on the Water, Broadway, the list goes on. Bourton is very busy but nevertheless a must for tourists.