We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riots affecting tourists?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
210 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Riots affecting tourists?

I am due to go to London on Tuesday for three nights. We should be staying in the London Bridge Hotel in Southwark, near London Bridge Tube Station. My mum (who I am travelling with) is very worried about going with the rioting going on at the moment, I would like to wait and see what happens towards the end of the weeks as I hope very much that peace will return to London but I only have until Thursday to amend my hotel booking - any changes after this are not possible and will result in loss of funds. Is it safe in central London? Is where I am staying counted as central London? Any help greatly appreciated. My thoughts are with those affected already.

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,893 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riots affecting tourists?

The London Bridge Hotel is very nearly adjacent to London Bridge rail station. It's not really an area where those who want to cause havoc and loot shops are going to make their way and to that end I'd say leave your plans intact for now.

If things are still unsettled in a week's time then as has been said on another thread all bets will be off - but I can't see the looting continuing that long.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,789 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riots affecting tourists?

I stayed in the London Bridge last week. Lovely hotel!

london
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riots affecting tourists?

If I were in your situation, I'd put the dates back - or at least be ready to do that on Thursday if things are still volatile. Where the fun for your mother in being anxious about the trip?

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riots affecting tourists?

Amy

you should be fine. I would very much doubt that the riots will continue into next week. Even in the areas of London that are affected, we are generally talking about 2 or 3 streets in those neighbourhoods.

The area you are staying is safe and not really populated in civilian terms. Come and enjoy London. You'll be fine.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riots affecting tourists?

Even assuming things aren't back under control by next week, I travelled through London Bridge station this morning and there isn't the slightest sign of anything unusual going on at all - just the usual crowds of commuters on their way to work. And I think that's unlikely to change even if the disorder continues - there aren't enough shops full of desirable stuff to loot in the area.

London
Level Contributor
168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riots affecting tourists?

Amy, I work next to London Bridge (and yes we'd regard it as central) and not one sign of trouble today. In fact boringly normal - Jubilee line was down on the way home as is virtually usual these days! So

The real issue is how to reassure your mum, so keep an eye on the official reports from Met Police and mayors office and judge by Thursday how you feel and how she will feel. The perception of safety is far more important than the factual reality so talk her through what you can both do to feel safer . The trouble seems to have been flarng in the later evening not daytime so its only a few hours you have to consider that for anyway.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
15 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riots affecting tourists?

Very sad for London tourism. We were in London in June and enjoyed our stay. We were somewhat nervous in the city though. There was an "air" of tension all around. Hard to explain but you could almost feel something bad brewing. Might be best to postpone your trip so there is no stress.

3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Riots affecting tourists?

We were in London in July and we did not notice anything unusual then. Everything was nice as always in London and people were as friendly as usual.

rhyl, north wales
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riots affecting tourists?

Get down to london and enjoy your trip,it seems the police were on top of any trouble last night,oliver5dogs,i was in london last week and the only tension i felt was the price of the beer!!

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,388 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riots affecting tourists?

I was in London in early July and didnt notice any tension.

I hate what is happening right know, may it all die down soon