We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riots affecting tourists?

Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
218 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Riots affecting tourists?

I am due to go to London on Tuesday for three nights. We should be staying in the London Bridge Hotel in Southwark, near London Bridge Tube Station. My mum (who I am travelling with) is very worried about going with the rioting going on at the moment, I would like to wait and see what happens towards the end of the weeks as I hope very much that peace will return to London but I only have until Thursday to amend my hotel booking - any changes after this are not possible and will result in loss of funds. Is it safe in central London? Is where I am staying counted as central London? Any help greatly appreciated. My thoughts are with those affected already.

Thanks

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The English Bus
City Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Cultural Tours
London Black Taxi Tours
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours
New Orleans
Level Contributor
721 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Riots affecting tourists?

I look forward to y'all scowling at me in about a month's time! ;) I'm super excited for our first trip to London: I know it will be easier than travelling in Germany or France or Italy since we kinda speak the same language!

We went to Egypt about two months after their revolution started and now we'll be in London a month after the riots. But I'm not worried for my safety as a tourist or that my brief time will be adversely affected. I just hope it all turns out ok for you who live there.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
721 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Riots affecting tourists?

First ever double post! Sorry.

Edited: 10 August 2011, 21:55
Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
15 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Riots affecting tourists?

I understand. We really hoped to come away with a happier impression. Everyones experience is different. I imagine it is difficult to have to work and live with so many tourists in the way.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
15 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Riots affecting tourists?

It is true there is high crime in many major US cities. Again, we must have had expectations that London would feel different than say NYC. I understand it must be very difficult commuting to work in London and that everyone is not on vacation as we were. I will say the friendliest people we met were Australians. In Italy, London and Paris whenever we ran into someone from Australia they were always so happy and easygoing!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,053 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Riots affecting tourists?

^^^

Could that be because they were on holiday?

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Riots affecting tourists?

Jesus, we get - 8 posts saying that you came to London and decided you didn't like it because of some made-up "air of tension" that no-one else noticed.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Riots affecting tourists?

oliver5dogs - Do you mind telling which Citadines location you stayed at? I know they have a few locations and I had considered them on my last trip. Just curious about the one you stayed at. Thanks!

rasizaday
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
38. Re: Riots affecting tourists?

We were in London for a few days in June and July and did not notice any tension - certainly not near the tourist areas. What areas did you visit?

Meaford, Canada
Level Contributor
148 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Riots affecting tourists?

I was in London in July - I was so impressed - I am an active 58 year old with grey hair but I was often offered a seat on the subway and was always asked if I needed help with my suitcase. Customer service at Gatwick airport was unbelievable - the best. I honestly don't see how anyone could say there was tension - I certainly didn't see any of it.

Alta, Norway
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
Save Reply
40. Re: Riots affecting tourists?

Been to London a dozen times (most recently in June) and never experienced any hostility or tension.