We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips (to Bath & Oxford) Operator

Singapore
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Day Trips (to Bath & Oxford) Operator

I need recomendation on Day Trips Operators, to Bath & Oxford, who is reliable and with reasonable prices.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trips (to Bath & Oxford) Operator

You mean some kind of tour operator? Most tour operators do offer day trips from London, but it's usually 2-3 places in one day. Not a city in one day. So you would have to make 2 day trips. As I hope you are not planning to visit both Bath and Oxford in one day?

I think it would be easier to take the train to Bath, and then bus or train to Oxford. Trains to Oxford and Bath go every 30 min, and buses to Oxford run regulary as well. You can get resonable prices to both cities.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trips (to Bath & Oxford) Operator

You can also take the bus to Bath. It takes 3 hours but it's a fascinating look at bucolic life outside London. Doing it self catered is quite easy. Take a bus from Victoria Station - I think it was about 12 or 15 pounds. You arrive about a 12 to 15 minute walk from the old Roman Thermal Baths and the Cathredral and another 10 minutes takes you to the Jane Austen Museum. Bath is a lovely quiet place and there are a few shops to check out.

I concur with Akcent - I would only do one city a day either Oxford or Bath unless you are driving.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trips (to Bath & Oxford) Operator

I agree it will be better to organise the trips yourself and not in one day.

It will be quicker to go by train to Bath which will be 1 hour 25 mins. If you book in advance you can get single tickets for good price.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/

Train to Oxford is within one hour.

If you have left it late and want to go for organised day tours you can look at this link.

londontoolkit.com/whattodo/london_day_tours.…

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trips (to Bath & Oxford) Operator

Although driving to both Oxford and Bath would be a bad idea. It would be better to take the train or a bus (actually checked and there is a bus from Oxford to Bath which takes 2 hours apparently, and trains (with a change) which takes 70 minutes.

So it's possible to visit both in one day. But some time will be spent on transportation too. (First London to Oxford then Oxford - Bath and finally Bath back to London. But they surely deserve a full day (especially Oxford do, never been to Bath but I am sure the city deserves a full day as well)

I also just checked and there is no tour operator going to both Bath and Oxford in one day. They can offer Bath and Stonehenge, and Oxford with Cotswolds and other places. But not both Bath and Oxford in one day trip tour. So Elsie from Singapore must do these trips on her own.

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trips (to Bath & Oxford) Operator

To answer your question I don't think its a matter of having a choice of tour company for a day trip from London to Bath and Oxford because I don't think anyone does that combination.

International Friends do a 2 day tour every weekend that spends Saturday morning in Oxford and Sunday morning in Bath overnighting near Bath. Saturday afternoon the explore the Cotswolds, Sunday fternoon Lacock and Stonehenge.

International Friends are a small group operator and in terms of quality are probably the best operator of the lot.

Both Bath and Oxford are very easy to get to by public transport and everything people want to see is in the largely pedestrianised city centres of both.

Going by train to either is also a lot quicker than any tour bus.

6. Re: Day Trips (to Bath & Oxford) Operator

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 16:20