We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Fish & Chips

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
London Fish & Chips

I'm visiting London with friends next month. Because I have visited London dozens of times and lived there about a century ago, they;re expecting me to show them the "Real London." I'm not too worried, because I actually do know the place fairly well, but I'm out of date.

They all want fish & chips. Any suggestions for some really good fare?

They also want to go out to a lovely tea. Best places for fresh scones and clotted cream?

We're staying near St.Pancras Station. Any help will be most welcome.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,421 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Fish & Chips

Although the very best fried fish and potatoes are found near the sea London does have a handful of decent chip shops. The link below will give you some ideas for eat in and takeaway options, with the North Sea nearest St Pancras. It offers a great selection of veg to go with one's meal and good puddings as well. tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k468005…

If your friends want the posho hotel (or Fortnum & Mason) experience for tea you'll need to book soon. The Wolseley offers scones with jam and cream and a cuppa or the full meal deal as does Sketch. tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k470693…

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Fish & Chips

The Wolseley is definitely good for tea, the scones are as good as most of the posh hotels and the prices are a lot cheaper.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Fish & Chips

For cream Tea I would take people to the Ritz for that Wow factor and for fish and chips if you use the search box you'll get loads of info.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,323 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: London Fish & Chips

Micky's Norfolk place.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London Fish & Chips

I'm with The Lord, London's fish and chips aren't as good as at the seaside but Micky's does a decent impression of it. I also like the Dining Plaice in Soho.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,584 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London Fish & Chips

We had some good fish and chips at Rock and Sole Plaice..........Covent Garden area (Short's Gardens)...................

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,584 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London Fish & Chips

Try the Dorchester Hotel for a wonderful "Tea" experience

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London Fish & Chips

I agree about Dorchester for wonderful Tea. You can also look at this website for various choice for Tea.

www.afternoontea.co.uk/index.php…

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,752 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London Fish & Chips

Other venues for fish and chips:

Seashell - Lisson Grove

The Golden Hind Marylebone

Seafresh, WIlton Road, Victoria.

London, United...
Level Contributor
334 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London Fish & Chips

If you just want Tea & Scones + Clotted Cream, why don't you try Fortnum & Mason, lovely Gerogian building and atmosphere. They also have a afternoon tea. more affordable than most hotels and not as "casual".

www.fortnumandmason.com/afternoontea.aspx