We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Paddington Lounge

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
908 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
London Paddington Lounge

Hi

I am due to be coming to Paddington after a getting in from a flight from Gatwick on a Monday morning first thing and there is a chance that we will be waiting around for a while before we catch our train home.

We were planning on popping in the First Class Lounge in Paddington whilst waiting for our train. Has anyone used the lounge and is there a time limit on it's use etc? Any additional information... not much it online. Is there a dress code? Is there towels supplied for the showers?

Cheers me dears

Kitty

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,254 reviews
from US$127.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
456 reviews
from US$106.00*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,085 reviews
from US$150.40*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.90*
US$336.60
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,233 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Paddington Lounge

Saw this languishing at the bottom of page two and thought it worth bumping.

Just one question: you are aware that there are no direct trains from Gatwick to Paddington and that you will have to transfer via Victoria or London Bridge from where you will need to take the tube to reach Paddington?

I would assume you do but the way the question is worded makes me wonder if you were getting mixed up with the Heathrow Express to Paddington?

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
908 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Paddington Lounge

Hi adam

we will be travelling from the tube from Victoria to Paddington but we will be waiting around at Paddington to get our train back to Bristol. Because we are getting an advance fair we can only catch one train back so we are being conservative as we don't to chance missing it.

So when we realised that we could use the Lounge I just wanted to find out a little more info about it : )

cheers

Kitty

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Paddington Lounge

As a bargain traveler, I don't normally see the inside of the lounges much, but I did ask someone who has.

He said he missed his train once and spent a long time in the lounge (can't remember exactly). They didn't kick him out, so as far as he knows there is no time limit.

He said there was no dress code that he knew of. There were towels for the shower. They have some food on offer too (I have been inside and had a snack - thanks dad!). As I recall it was snacky stuff like cookies, muffins and fruit. They had soda and tea if I recall correctly, but I don't know if they had alcohol available.

Hope that helps.

ktown

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
908 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London Paddington Lounge

hi ktown

Thanks!!! It will be very good to have a shower and if they have towels that would be fab. We will have been travelling for a while.. A cup of tea will be perfect.

We will definately make use of the lounge then.

Cheers

Kitty

London, United...
Level Contributor
266 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London Paddington Lounge

Are you sure there are showers in the FGW Lounge at Paddington? I don't think they've had them since the redesign?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
422 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London Paddington Lounge

I was with my husband and two children in the First Class Lounge at Paddington in August 2009 prior to catching the Express to Heathrow.

We had to show our passes to the reception (to ensure that we had paid for first class) before being let in to the lounge.

They had coffee/tea/juice/water as well as biscuits/sandwiches/cashews/fruit. We basically had "lunch" until it was time to catch our train.

I don't recall seeing showers...

There was no dress code but I found it interesting that the lounge was divided into two areas, the brightly lit area that we relaxed in (with newspapers and tv etc) and what looked like a darker quieter "gentlemen's club". We sat in the noisier of the two lounges as we had our young kids with us plus all our luggage.

The only problem we found with the first class lounge is that it seems to have limited hours on certain days of the week (it was closed on a Sunday afternoon upon arriving from Heathrow).

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London Paddington Lounge

This is the first that I've heard of the Paddington First Class Lounge (although I now see it on the Paddington Station website). Is there a charge for entry (website doesn't mention an entry fee) or do you just have to have a first class ticket? Does anyone know whether a First Class Britrail pass qualifies?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
422 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London Paddington Lounge

Yes, we had First Class Brit Rail passes which we bought in Vancouver before our trip. We had to show them at reception and they really scrutinized the dates to ensure they were still valid, but once we passed inspection we were allowed to relax in the lounge for as long as we wanted (we stayed in the lounge as long as possible before heading to Heathrow where it was considerably less comfortable.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
422 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London Paddington Lounge

I meant to add that there was no charge...we just showed our rail passes.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London Paddington Lounge

That's really helpful, Journeywizard, thanks.

Thank you also for raising the Paddington First Class Lounge issue, Rainbowkitty. (Sorry to have hijacked the discussion.)