We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Club Quarters St. Paul's too good to be true?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
185 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Club Quarters St. Paul's too good to be true?

My husband and I are headed to London in December (Dec 20-25th). We have been looking for accommodations and noticed how cheap Club Quarters St. Paul's is compare to the rest hotels (and B&B) in London. I checked the reviews on TA and they actually get pretty decent reviews. I like the fact that Club Quarters St. Paul is close to the tube even though it is a little bit out of the way from some major tourist sites. We really don’t mind traveling with a great mass transportation systems – that’s pretty much what we did in Tokyo, another expensive city! My question is… is there any drawbacks (other than being out of the way) that I am not aware of since the price is almost too cheap for a four star hotel in London. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
St Paul's Hotel
St Paul's Hotel
551 Reviews
London, UK
London Buses
Mass Transportation Systems
London Underground
Gatwick Express
Mass Transportation Systems, Railways
Virgin Trains
London, United...
Level Contributor
707 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Club Quarters St. Paul's too good to be true?

Would your booking be with them directly and do they accept credit cards? If not, stay away. Whatever you do, don't pay upfront by any form of money transfer - Western Union etc.

Mentioned in this post
Union Tavern
Union Tavern
686 Reviews
London, UK
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Club Quarters St. Paul's too good to be true?

It's the same price I saw on the hotel website and Booking.com ($134 per night). Pay when we check out (at the hotel)...

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,157 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Club Quarters St. Paul's too good to be true?

Club Quarters is perfectly legit and in a good location. If It is not quite true to say it is away from the major tourist sites. It is right by St Paul's for a start, the South Bank, Tate Modern, the Globe, Borough Market, the Monument and walkable to the Tower of London.

If you've seen a rate you like you might as well go for it. From reviews it seems that is not the most luxurious accomm and that sound proofing leaves something to be desired but this could apply to many other apartments and hotels in London anyway.

It is probably cheapish because of the Christmas holiday and therefore the business market who mainly use it will be away. Be aware there is NO public transport on the 25th and it closes down early on the 24th so you will need to make plans for transferring to the airport by taxi. There is some shopping nearby - a couple of M&S food stores and loads of restaurants in One New Change, St Paul's Churchyard and along Ludgate Hill.

You might also want to look at the King's Wardrobe (Bridge Street Corporation and possibly the Landmark Trust) in a nearby quiet enclave.

Mentioned in this post
South Bank
South Bank
1,464 Reviews
London, UK
Tate Modern
Tate Modern
8,517 Reviews
London, UK
Borough Market
Borough Market
10,334 Reviews
London, UK
Tower of London
Tower of London
52,847 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
St Paul's Hotel
St Paul's Hotel
551 Reviews
London, UK
The Landmark London
The Landmark London
3,138 Reviews
London, UK
Bridge Street
Bridge Street
834 Reviews
Chelmsford, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,115 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Club Quarters St. Paul's too good to be true?

Booking.com is reputable, location is good, very near to many important sites. It can be a bit quiet in the evenings but still no shortage of things to do.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,442 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Club Quarters St. Paul's too good to be true?

The rate may be on the low side because the City will be quiet between 20 December and the end of the month. Because of the location of CQ St Paul's - almost at the main entrance of the nearby Cathedral - it won't be echo-ingly empty and bereft of all life but the area won't be its usual bustling self.

Buses in the area are plentiful, a better option for some journeys than the Central line from St Paul's station. Stop G (second link) is just steps from the entrance of the Club Quarters building. tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/… tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/…

Blackfriars Underground station is closed at present, due to open later this year although that is always subject to change. Mansion House station isn't far from St Paul's and your hotel though.

If you plan to leave London on 25 December bear in mind as well that there will be no public transport at all except taxis and some replacement bus services from Paddington to LHR and Victoria to LGW.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
St Paul's Hotel
St Paul's Hotel
551 Reviews
London, UK
The Paddington Hotel
The Paddington Hotel
391 Reviews
London, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
29,873 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Club Quarters St. Paul's too good to be true?

That price is a snip. Book it.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Club Quarters St. Paul's too good to be true?

Booked it and thank all for your input! Great advice as always!

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,567 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Club Quarters St. Paul's too good to be true?

I had to stay in London overnight on a Saturday at the end of October last year. All the hotels seemed to be fully booked and even Travelodges were £140+ for that night. So I bid on Priceline, bidding from 3* upwards as I knew rooms were scarce. I started with a cheekily low bid, as one does, and got the Club Quarters Gracechurch for a bid of £45 (£57 after taxes and fees). This was a little over a third what the Travelodge Liverpool Street down the road was charging!

It was a fantastic, smart hotel, and there were no 'catches' to the offer at all. Priceline count it as 3* at weekends as there is not a full restaurant service (as if that matters in central London). Perhaps there is not a full restaurant service around Christmas with few businessmen around, technically demoting it to 3*, as at weekends. The excellent rooms are still the same though!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Travelodge London Liverpool Street
Travelodge London...
998 Reviews
London, UK
Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,509 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Club Quarters St. Paul's too good to be true?

I've lost count of the number of nights I have spent at CQ St Pauls before I moved into an apartment dead opposite CQ. It's a very clean and comfortable hotel with friendly staff which normally caters for the business traveller during the week so weekends tend to be much more of a bargain. Last time I stayed during a weekday it was £130 per night and you can upgrade to a suite for £10 extra if they aren't sold out.

Unless you like church bells, ask for a room at the back so you aren't kept awake by the bells of St Pauls Cathedral chiming every quarter hour. I would imagine on Christmas Day there will be a bellfest!

There is a very reasonable brasserie next door http://www.cote-restaurants.co.uk/ and across the road you have a Gourmet Burger Kitchen, Strada, Pizza Express, Yo! Sushi! and Cafe Rouge so there's no shortage of places to eat except for Christmas Day when everything in the area will be closed. No transport, no shops or restaurants and hardly any people. Stock up at Marks & Spencer just along the road or Sainsburys in Paternoster Square unless you can manage to book one of the few restaurants that will actually be open.

Are you travelling on Christmas Day? If so, you'd better book a car service to the airport which won't be cheap! Simply Airports might be your best bet.

The only other drawback is that the walls are quite thin so you'd better hope you have quiet neighbours :-)

Mentioned in this post
St. Paul's Cathedral
St. Paul's Cathedral
13,240 Reviews
London, UK
Paternoster Square
Paternoster Square
97 Reviews
London, UK
St Paul's Hotel
St Paul's Hotel
551 Reviews
London, UK
Gourmet Burger Kitchen
Gourmet Burger Kitchen
1,024 Reviews
London, UK
Strada
Strada
1,216 Reviews
London, UK
Yo! Sushi
Yo! Sushi
241 Reviews
London, UK
Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Club Quarters St. Paul's too good to be true?

The reason it is so cheap is that it is an hotel aimed at business travellers and any sane business traveller is trying to grab some holiday whilst their City-based colleagues aren't working/ pretending to work from home.

From memory there ought to be a fairly extensive folder of menus of restaurants who deliver to the hotel if you fancy a quiet night in (but you might need to travel for Christmas itself).

Can any of the locals remember if St Pauls tube is closed over the Christmas break? I have a hunch that it often didn't open on Saturdays (but there will be another open within an easy walk).

Mentioned in this post
St Paul's Hotel
St Paul's Hotel
551 Reviews
London, UK