We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to the Harry Potter exhibit at Leavesden Studios

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,121 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to the Harry Potter exhibit at Leavesden Studios

Hello TALF friends,

Our family is planning a visit to your wonderful city in June 2012 (tentative dates 6-8 June). Hopefully we will arrive after the Queen's Jubilee celebrations and before Olympic craziness begins. Let me know if you think we should consider different dates. Nothing is booked yet as far as air or hotels.

We notice that the Harry Potter museum in Watford should be open by then. We are currently considering staying in Hammersmith. Can one get to Leavesden Studios by tube from Hammersmith? Do you have other recommendations?

As always, thanks for your help!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,818 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to the Harry Potter exhibit at Leavesden Studios

I just started this thread that includes a link to the studio website - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k47370…

The FAQ section is pretty detailed and will answer most of your questions. From Hammersmith I would head for Euston by tube and then take a fast train to Watford Junction (20 minutes or less) from where you can get a taxi or local bus to the studio.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to the Harry Potter exhibit at Leavesden Studios

Thanks for the info. When I tried this on the Journey Planner on the TfL website, it recommended taking a bus to Kensington Olympia, where we could get a train on the Southern Line that went to Watford Junction. Would that work too?

It looked like we could use Oyster for a Zones 2-9+Watford Junction fare for 2.50GBP each way.

Thanks for posting the link to the thread. My kids are looking forward to this (me too!).

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,818 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to the Harry Potter exhibit at Leavesden Studios

That is one option (of many as it happens) but there is only one train an hour from Olympia whereas there are 4 or 5 from Euston. I am also not sure that the station is manned so you wouldn't be able to purchase the extension ticket.

Once you have decided upon your accommodation then we can sort the best route out for you.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,425 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to the Harry Potter exhibit at Leavesden Studios

Oyster would be valid for the Olympia - Watford Junction journey so there would be no need to purchase an extension ticket. You would need to pay separately for the bus from there to Leavesden Studios. It might be worth checking nearer the time as there may be better information available then.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,818 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to the Harry Potter exhibit at Leavesden Studios

Watford Junction is way out in zone 9+ so unless the OP has Pay As You Go (I suspect they will have a zones 1-2 Travelcard only), they will need an extension ticket. The inspectors at Watford Junction are particularly quick to seize on anyone who thinks they can pay at the "other end" so please make sure you have the correct ticket.

Buses from the Junction to Leavesden are local ones, not red buses. You would need to pay the driver. With four, a taxi might prove easier.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to the Harry Potter exhibit at Leavesden Studios

If you ar staying in Hammersmith you could also get the HAmmersmith and City Line to Baker Street and then the Met Line out to Watfod Met Station. It will take considerably longer but would be a lot cheaper. Travel time from Hammersmith to Watford Met (Underground) is about an hour.

There is a minicab company that has an office at Watford Met station so you will be able to get out to Leaveden.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to the Harry Potter exhibit at Leavesden Studios

Sorry - travel time i likely to be between an hour and 90 minutes

ps. Adam - is that cab company still at Watford Met Station ?

Edited: 18 August 2011, 17:03
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,818 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to the Harry Potter exhibit at Leavesden Studios

Yes they are still there Steve but you may have to wait as they rarely have cars sitting outside. Turn right out of the tube station and right again.

To be honest the savings on the tube could be partly eaten up by the extra cost as Watford Met is on the other side of town from the new studios.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to the Harry Potter exhibit at Leavesden Studios

Is the exhibition on the old 007 site at Leavesden. If so, a cab from Watford Met shouldnt be that much more expensive that a cab from the Junction

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,818 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to the Harry Potter exhibit at Leavesden Studios

A couple of pounds maybe but anyway we are jumping the gun. Until the OP sorts out her accommodation and books the tour, we are not in a position to give 100% accurate information and even then it will be opinion rather than fact!