We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel

We have a two-day layover in London and are using Marriott Reward points to book this hotel. I did some research on the Marriott Hotels in this area and this one seems to be the best. I know nothing about London, but what you think about the hotel we picked? This is will be the first night of our honeymoon and we are from the States in our early 30s.

What area of town are we staying in?

We have one more night and will probably book that on hotwire or priceline. Any recommendations of what area to stay in for the 2nd night? Will be will flying out of Heathrow on the third morning (again giving us two full nights in London). Since we have a quick trip, we'll just hit the biggie tourist spots. Thanks all!

The English Bus
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
Tour Londres
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
London Black Taxi Tours
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel

It is on Park Lane, overlooking Hyde Park, in Mayfair. The nearest tube station is Marble Arch, although Hyde Park Corner isn't much further

It's one of the big old 5* hotels on Park Lane. I have been to functions there in the past 2 or 3 years (the ballroom is HUGE), but not stayed overnight so can't comment on the rooms/service. I doubt you could go far wrong with it, in this area/price bracket hotels have to be pretty good or they wouldn't survive

As to where to stay, I would look for anywhere that's convenient for the Piccadilly line tube, as that will take you back to Heathrow easily. South Kensington/Gloucester Rd might be a decent pick, lots of hotels around there and the transport is very easy/convenient. Failing that, Bloomsbury (Holborn, Russell Square tubes) also has lots of staying options, or Paddington/Bayswater is another choice (probably the quickest journey back to Heathrow on the Heathrow Express, but it's not cheap)

If it were me, I'd book somewhere for two nights and save the reward points, but I can understand if you want to stay in a 5* joint for your honeymoon. Personally I couldn't be doing with the faff of moving and dealing with luggage etc one more time than is strictly necessary, but hey

London, United...
Level Contributor
424 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel

Stay for both nights, if you can afford it...its a lovely, posh hotel! Lots of televised awards shows, like the BAFTAs, take place there. Mayfair and Park Lane are the more expensive stops on the Monopoly board....Marble Arch isn't far to walk for the tube and/or shopping.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel

It always seems pointless to me to stay ina nice hotel for just one night - all you get the benefit of is somewhere to sleep. If you stay two nights, it becomes a base for the whole day.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
106 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel

Definitely agree with everyone else. Wherever you stay, try to do it for 2 nights. Moving about in London with luggage is tricky unless you take a cab and that can work out to be very expensive. It's also very time consuming.

The JW is a 5* hotel and beautiful (fully refurbished in the last few years) however be prepared to pay $10 or so for tea/coffee in the lounge and upwards of $15 for a drink at the bar. I'm lucky enough to have access to great discounts at this hotel. I stay there but have breakfast at the nearest Starbucks or whatever and drink elsewhere. We once had tea in the lounge just for the experience - lovely but be prepared for the cost!

Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,557 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel

The hassle of moving halfway through such a short trip seems counter productive. It could even be an almost total waste of a day should one hotel not be able to hold your luggage or if you turn up at the second hotel mid afternoon and be unable to check in for some reason.

If you decide not to stay two nights at the Grosvenor House then Bloomsbury is slightly more central than South Kensington and within walking distance (or a short bus or tube ride) of many sights, restaurants and west end theatres. The later area though has a wider choice of accommodations and is slightly nearer Heathrow.

Level Contributor
2,636 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel

Many congrats.I did not find the food all that expensive in the restaurant.

And at back of Hotel is Corrigans restaurant need one say more?

Best wishes Regmaiche

7. Re: Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 10:18