We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelcard or Oystercard

Spain
Level Contributor
42 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
Travelcard or Oystercard

I'll be arriving in London on Thursday 15 at 13.00 until Sunday 18. What's best to buy . I'll use the tube two or three times a day.

Thanks for your answer;-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelcard or Oystercard

Where are you arriving in London? Is it just you, or are you a group?

Will you travel be just in the centre (zones 1/2)?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,324 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelcard or Oystercard

This exact question (even down to the title) is asked at least twice a week. Could you please do some research.

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,424 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelcard or Oystercard

If there are two of you you might want to buy a paper travel card so you can do the two for one offers.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
239 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelcard or Oystercard

I prefer a Travelcard loaded onto an Oyster Card, unless you want to take advantage of the 2-1 deals with the paper Travelcard.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelcard or Oystercard

I think "TravelCard on Oyster" is the wrong answer here, as the OP is here for 72 hours, and the minimum length of TravelCard on Oyster is 7 days.

If the OP is travelling alone, PAYG credit on Oyster is probably right., and probably essential if the are arriving at Heathrow (which we don't know).

If there are two travellers who want to go to some of the www.daysoutguide.co.uk attractions together, and they are not arriving in London by a national rail train (which we don't know) it may be worthwhile to get a paper TravelCard from a railway station one or more days.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
239 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelcard or Oystercard

My deepest apologies Greenwich Nick, I completely missed his travel dates in the OP's post. MY BAD!!!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,363 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelcard or Oystercard

Escarzaga, the questions asked above are important, as that information is needed to give you the best answer.

Are you flying to Heathrow, Gatwick or another London airport? Will you travel on your own or with friends or family? If you've booked a hotel in London please let us know which. Please also let us know the time of departure on Sunday (Sept) 18th.

Muchisimas gracias.

Spain
Level Contributor
42 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelcard or Oystercard

Thanks for your replies. We'll be arriving at Gatwick and we'll stay in a hotel near Edgware Road. It's just two of us. We are leaving on Sunday at 16.00 but I guess we will be going to Gatwick around 13.00. I don't really know how an Oyster card works. In case this is more convenient. could you explain it to me?

Thanks a lot for your time!!!!

Spain
Level Contributor
42 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelcard or Oystercard

Sorry! I've forgotten to say taht we won't be doing much sightseeing so I don't know if this 2 x 1 offer should be interesting.;-)

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelcard or Oystercard

The Oyster card is a form of electronic cash that you use to pay for tickets at a much reduced fare to poaying for them with actual cash

If you really are only going to be making 2 or 3 journeys a day then it probably will save you money over a travelcard. Once you get to a 4th journey travel costs are exactly the same as the Oyster has a maximum daily charge which is the same as the travelcard. Somehow I suspect you'll be making those extra journeys

Disadvantage - you have to pay a £5 refundable deposit for it - you may be in a rush and not have time to claim it

Advantage - you don't have to decide on zones in advance so it's more flexible that way