We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas day taxi/minicab

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stockholm
Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas day taxi/minicab

Hi!

On Christmas day, I'm travelling with my family from Heathrow at 8 am on a long-haul journey. We are staying in a Travelodge about 3 miles from Terminal 4, and it turns out that the Hotel Hoppa and all public transport will not be running. I have been quoted £40 for a minicab at about 5 am to the airport - including Christmas day surcharges.

Is this reasonable? If not, does anybody have any experience (or any good minicab numbers) of any recommendable services?

Thank you for any help!

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas day taxi/minicab

I would have thought that just getting a price for a minicab at 5:00 Christmas Day morning was quite an achievement.

Stockholm
Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas day taxi/minicab

Oh... Do you think booking a few nights before will be troublesome? Will it be difficult to find a free driver?

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,068 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas day taxi/minicab

It might be worth contacting the Travelodge and asking if they can find a local taxi company. £40 seems excessive even for Christmas Day

Stockholm
Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas day taxi/minicab

Thank you for the advice. I think I'll contact the hotel a bit in advance and ask them to book it for me - I might get cheaper rates.

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas day taxi/minicab

Are you sure the Heathrow Hoppa will not be running on Xmas Day? - its run every Xmas Day in past years on a near normal frequency just closing down in the evening a couple of hours earlier than normal.

Just the public buses have not run.

Edited: 20 August 2011, 21:07
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas day taxi/minicab

I wouldn't dream of asking staff at any Travelodge to arrange something so important. Even if they had the ability to arrange this, which I doubt, I suspect they will charge a lot more. Book it yourself nearer the time and ask for an emergency contact number.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas day taxi/minicab

According to the latest timetable, the Hoppa doesn't appear to serve the Travelodge on Bath Road which is what may be causing the confusion.

Stockholm
Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas day taxi/minicab

Thanks for the input.

Bus H7 does serve Travelodge Heathrow Central (and many other Hoppa buses serve the Ramada hotel which is just across the road). I was unsure as to whether any services were running on Christmas day, so I e-mailed National Express to ask them why. Here's the response:

"Thank you for your email.

No Hotel Hopper buses are operating on 25/12/11 (Christmas Day)

Sorry we cannot help you further with this matter.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require further assistance."

Since no other public transport is running, I find it extremely odd that National Express chooses to strand passengers at airport hotels, leaving expensive taxis/minicabs the only option to get to the airport.

Thanks adamhornets for the advice about booking it myself, I will try and do that.

Edited: 20 August 2011, 22:24
9. Re: Christmas day taxi/minicab

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 November 2011, 20:05
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,911 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas day taxi/minicab

Someone is playing silly b*ggers and spamming forums with adverts.

And claiming that 'they don't charge anything extra on christmas or new years day' may be right up there with 'the cheque is in the post' in terms of fictitious statements.