We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Day In London 2011

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Coogee, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Day In London 2011

As this will be our first Christmas away from family I wanted to make sure we had plenty to keep us occupied. I was thinking about doing an Evan Evans tour. Has anyone done one of their christmas day tours? I have two daughters aged 17 and 20 and then there is my husband and myself. We are arriving in London around 19 December so would have seen all the major sights by then. We are staying in Kensington.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,421 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Day In London 2011

The bad news is that London virtually shuts down on Christmas Day; it is the one day of the year without any public transport apart from taxis and a few sightseeing buses.

However people on this site usually come up with a great list of possibilities for Christmas Day in London, so if you don't want to do an Evan Evans tour check in nearer the time - the topic will appear in 'Top Questions about London' sooner or later.

London
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Day In London 2011

There are a number of companies who will offer Christmas Day Tours, not all have published their offerings yet, In addition to Evans there is Golden Tours, Premium Tours and Anderson.

All tours will be a combination of locations, this entails a certain amount of travel by coach and its a lot to pack in for the day and a fairly early push off in the morning. Stonehenge won't be open on Christmas day so its not really an option. Windsor, Rochester, Canterbury, Oxford, Stratford and Cotswolds all take on that old world Christmas feeling so its a matter of personal Choice.

One other point the tours include a Christmas Lunch, not dinner so don't expect a sumptuous feast. London is very quiet on Christmas Day so its a great way to go and see some great locations. Happy Christmas.

London
Level Contributor
20 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Day In London 2011

You might want to check out http://www.ChristmasinLondon.net

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Day In London 2011

I guess if the goal is to keep yourself occupied the Evan Evans and Premium Tours tours do fit that need.

Walking around Windsor and Bath with a guide in a deserted town normally filled with tourists will certainly give you a unique perspective few others see. If you have a good guide it could be very worthwhile and rewarding.Having a Xmas lunch in a pub will probably be much better than anything you'd get if you stayed in London.

The degree to which you enjoy the day will largely be down to:

a) the weather

b) the quality of the guide

c) the friendliness or other people

none of which are within your control.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Day In London 2011

I did a Christmas Day tour in 2009 with Premium Tours and was very disappointed. I was accompanied by a friend who had never been to England before and I thought it would be a nice treat for them. Pick up was late and when the guide was picked up, he said that he had just been called that morning to lead the tour and didn't know anything, so we sat for quite a while waiting to go while he was getting instructions. Their ad stated lunch in an Elizabeth manor house in what sounded like a Cotswolds village by the name given, but instead, lunch was in a pub in Stratford-upon-Avon. Food was horrible (pressed luncheon meat-type turkey), and they had some contemporary rock-type music playing. It was so poorly organized that the coach had to make a fuel stop. A woman in the tour group said the one consolation was that next year when she cooks Christmas dinner, she would look like a star.

dallas/fort worth
Level Contributor
153 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Day In London 2011

oh no, I just booked the tour with premium tours for Christmas day! maybe it will be better this year? hopefully! we will just have to think of it as an adventure. and perhaps get some good pictures without the crowds around.

7. Re: Christmas Day In London 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2012, 10:19