We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap,reliable car rental out of Heathrow?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
197 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap,reliable car rental out of Heathrow?

Hi, anyone has any recommendations? We are currently looking at Easirent for the car rental after reading reviews about Thrifty being bad.

Our budget is about 500 GBP for 9-10 days of driving. We arrive in heathrow.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,293 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap,reliable car rental out of Heathrow?

Never heard of Easirent but I see their office is some distance from the airport and they rely on you phoning them when you are ready to be collected,

Very much a cheap and cheerful outfit by the looks of things - far better to pay a little more and deal with the major companies.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,836 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap,reliable car rental out of Heathrow?

Is the budget just for hire of the car? Don´t forget to allow for the exhorbitant price of petrol in the UK- around £1.34 a litre for petrol, 3 or 4 pence more per litre for diesel

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
197 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap,reliable car rental out of Heathrow?

Wow the petrol price is pretty high.

Hey Adamhornets, any recommendation? Im from Asia and its our first time renting a car from Heathrow, so we definitely need some good recommendations.Mainly looking for SUV's /Estates or big cars.

Thanks!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,293 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap,reliable car rental out of Heathrow?

The major companies are Avis, Alamo/National, Hertz, Sixt and Enterprise, all of whom have locations very close to (but not in) the airport.

Unless you have a large travelling group then I would go with as small a car as you are comfortable with. Cheaper to rent with better mileage and also better equipped to deal with our narrower roads.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
197 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap,reliable car rental out of Heathrow?

Haha well a small car is deifinitely more worth it and affordable. Unfortunately we have a bicycle-box in tow and luggage too.

I read some bad reviews about Enterprise and im worried, do you have any experience with any of the companies?

Edited: 22 August 2011, 17:27
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,293 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap,reliable car rental out of Heathrow?

Not directly as I live in the area. Hopefully others might be along with comments but ultimately there is no right or wrong answer to this - just make sure you are aware of all the T&C's especially relating to damage.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap,reliable car rental out of Heathrow?

Cheap, reliable, at Heathrow - pick any two.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap,reliable car rental out of Heathrow?

While there might not be cheap car rentals, the car hire companies do have sales.

Europcar had a 25% off sale last spring, we got our car for a very good price, prepaid rate, 18 day rental.

http://www.europcar.com/

Looks like they are still offering a 25% discount for booking and paying online.

Also, Hotwire offers good deals on car rental and will send alerts for your dates and location.

http://www.hotwire.com/seo/car

It's probably a good idea to stay with vendors on-site at Heathrow.

We went with Enterprise once, when they were at a dodgy location off-site, and had a very bad experience. Have never gone with them again.

I think though that Enterprise is now on Motor Mile on Northern Perimeter Road with the others.

Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap,reliable car rental out of Heathrow?

I write regarding a recent booking with Easirent at Stansted Airport. The name of this car rental company is far from appropriate as the whole process of getting a car from them is far from easy and not what I expected.

I arrived at Stansted on time and tried to telephone Easirent as requested on the paperwork, after three or four attempts to get through to them without success I decided to go to the arrivals hall to see if there was a desk or anyone waiting for me. There is no desk for Easirent at Stansted and nobody was waiting, so I tried again to telephone them, I finally got through after about 20 minutes of trying, to be told by an extremely rude lady that her driver was in the arrivals hall looking for us. She enquired where I was standing and I said by the Easibus office, she then said that I should be standing by the Costa coffee shop, however I had no previous instruction to this effect. I moved the 10 meters from Easibus to Costas and waited, looking for the driver.

After another 30 minutes of waiting, I telephoned again to be told that the driver was just walking through the doors!!!! This however was untrue and he finally arrived after a further 15 minutes and yet another telephone call. I spoke with the driver who said he had been waiting in the car park for 30 minutes for a telephone call to tell him we had arrived, he finally got the call and came straight into the terminal building. This is borne out by the car park ticket which shows a duration of 38 minutes. As an aside, because Easirent have no proper facilities at Stansted, I had to pay the parking fee of £5.00, adding to the cost of the hire!!!!

I sat in the car to complete the paperwork and asked the driver if the collection and paperwork process was always carried out in the same manner, to which he said it was and that a lot of people had complained to his boss at Hoddesdon but she said it was tough that’s the way Easirent did it. I asked about where we had to return the car to, for our flight home and was told to meet a driver in McDonalds car park, which is about one mile from the terminal building. I was most concerned about this as there is no other transport links from McDonalds to the terminal and with quite a lot of luggage, walking was not an option and I was concerned that if I had the same problems at departure as I did on arrival, I would miss the flight. I made alternative arrangements with the driver to meet in the Budget drop off car park, but the next day after some thought, decided that this was also a risk so reverted back to dropping off at McDonalds, but an hour earlier than originally planned. I telephoned Easirent with this change and spoke to Carl who said that the change was no problem and he would pass the message on.......he didn’t. Fortunately I had the same driver, as at collection and while he was later than I had asked for, he arrived with sufficient time make the flight.

The car was fine with no problems, it was however filthy dirty on the outside, cover in what appeared to be soot, the inside was clean. On my invoice from Easirent, there was a charge for £20.00 for fuel, which I accepted, however, I travelled some 19 miles and the tank was showing empty, I filled the car with petrol and the tank only took £37.00 of fuel in total. I telephoned Easirent about this and spoke to Lee in their Liverpool office, who said that £20 for a 1/4 tank of fuel in a Hyundai I10 was extremely excessive and that he would give us £8.00 credit, which we have yet to receive. I have also subsequently been promised the £5.00 car park fee, but this has yet to materialise.

My message to all.....don't book with Easirent, it isn't.

London
Level Contributor
10,817 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap,reliable car rental out of Heathrow?

" Mainly looking for SUV's /Estates or big cars. "

Sorry - you can't combine those words with cheap.

By way of illustration. I just did a test reservation with Hertz, for 10 days out of LHR. A manual compact car (Ford Focus size) would be £150. A large manual estate (Passat) would be £540 and a people carrier (Galaxy auto) would be £605. Additional driver(s) and additional insurances extra.

I always search the major names for car hire. I personally find these off-airport companies more hassle to deal with - not worth the bother for the few pennies you might save.

As for fuel. I find a budget of £15 per 100 miles driven is safe. Ironically, improvements in technology mean I get better fuel economy from large diesel vehicles than from small petrol ones these days.