We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Art Deco in London buildings & bars

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
145 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Art Deco in London buildings & bars

We are Art Deco fans. We even attended a lecture presentation on Art Deco in London and now regret we didn't purchase the book as it would have been fun to see the actual architecture.

Could you recommend a couple of Art Deco buildings in the Central London area?

We're also keen on having a drink in an Art Deco ambiance bar. Suggestions? Hotel bars are o.k. but others would be welcomed too.

Edited: 31 August 2011, 05:27
Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Art Deco in London buildings & bars

The most famous is www.bibendum.co.uk

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Art Deco in London buildings & bars

Are you interested specifically in the posher, more flamboyant versions, or other similar architecture of the period as well?

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Art Deco in London buildings & bars

The former offices of the Express Newspaper on Fleet Street is one example.

A good handful of tube stations are art deco, off the top of my head Osterley and Rayner's Lane are two pretty good ones. The staircase at St John's Wood is beautiful.

As for bars, The Connaught hotel isn't art deco itself but the main bar is probably one of the nicest art deco bars in London, it's pretty expensive but it's a must for fans of the style.

The Savoy hotel is probably one of the best known art deco buildings in London and the American Bar used to carry that theme on inside, not sure if it still does as I've not been in since the refurbishment, I think TravellerPlus has though.

A quick Google also shows this pretty big list from London Footprints, there's enough to keep you busy there for months.

www.london-footprints.co.uk/artdecobldgs.htm

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Art Deco in London buildings & bars

londoncountrytours.co.uk/londonartdeco.htm

Above link is about a tour but describes a lot of the places you could visit yourself.

Claridges............. http://www.claridges.co.uk/

Quote" Mayfair’s Art Deco jewel is the last word in London's luxury hotels

Step into Claridge’s, a luxury hotel in Mayfair and experience a world of stunning design and flawless service unmatched in London. Five-star luxury and over a century of glamour combine to create a world of sophistication in the heart of London.

Claridge’s Bar – a celebrity playground in Art Deco splendour

Gordon Ramsay at Claridge’s – world-famous fine dining

Afternoon tea in London – a time-honoured indulgence, not to be missed

Glamorous, elegant and alive with laughter, Claridge’s hotel in Mayfair attracts the true connoisseur of luxury.

Voted Top UK Business Hotel in Condé Nast 2009 Reader’s Travel Awards.

Claridge's is the "Best UK Hotel for Rooms" in Condé Nast Traveller Gold List 2010, chosen by magazine editors and travel experts.

"This Art Deco Gem is more fashionable than ever,..."

Victoria & Albert Museum........

vam.ac.uk/vastatic/…

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Art Deco in London buildings & bars

If you find yourself near north east London, you could always try the Rio Cinema, Kingsland Road, Dalston. Which is still open.

Coincidently was just used as the backdrop in the film “One Day”

www.youtube.com/watch…

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Art Deco in London buildings & bars

Just as I click the send button then my mind clicks in, the other place I should have mentioned if you take Canuck advice and go to Rayners Lane, is the former Odeon Cinema, across the road that I know was used in a television commercial last year – I can’t recall what for.

But this was the cinema where, in my youth, I went to see Roger Moore in “The Man with The Golden Gun.

flickr.com/photos/oldcinemaphotos/3693661267

UK
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Art Deco in London buildings & bars

If you are in London over the weekend of 17/18 September you may be able to see inside some Art Deco buildings not usually open to the public eg The Daily Express Building.

http://www.londonopenhouse.org/

Edited: 31 August 2011, 12:17
Essex
Level Contributor
27,764 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Art Deco in London buildings & bars

The Knights Bar at Simpson's-in-the-Strand is somewhat Art Deco'y in a subdued kind of a way:

www.simpsonsinthestrand.co.uk/knights-bar.php

BBC Broadcasting House, Portland Place, (you can take a tour):

bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/tours/bh_london.shtml

The RIBA is just up the road from there at No.66, you can also take a guided tour of the building, but you need to e-mail in advance to book:

architecture.com/TheRIBA/…guide

You can find some other great suggestions if you look through the archived 'Buildings of the Month' on the 20th Century Society website:

www.c20society.org.uk/botm/archive/2011.html

Edited: 31 August 2011, 12:33
Bromley
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Art Deco in London buildings & bars

Hi

Freemason's Hall on Great Queen Street is a fabulous Art Deco building, It has been used in many films and period TV shows (Poirot for example)

http://www.ugle.org.uk/freemasons-hall/

It is open to the public and they run tours of the building from the library.

http://www.ugle.org.uk/freemasons-hall/tours/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Art Deco in London buildings & bars

I'll add Florin Court, an Art Deco apartment building in central London, on Charterhouse Square. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florin_Court