We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top 3 things to do in London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Top 3 things to do in London

What is your own opinion of the top 3 must do things on a trip to London?

I'm going for the first time in October so your answers will help me figure out how to spend my time

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top 3 things to do in London

This is easy.

Number 1, by a very very long way, obtain a guide book. I like the Eyewitness series,and there is even an Eyewitness Top 10 for London.

Number 2, read the book and decide what you'd like to see.

Number 3, rank those things in order of your preference.

Essex
Level Contributor
26,725 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top 3 things to do in London

I know you asked for a top 3 and joe has answered that well, however I am going to add:

Number 4 - think about what has attracted you to come to London in the first place - there must be some reasons - maybe that will help you to make your choices!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,731 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top 3 things to do in London

Whilst I agree with 1 and 2, this list will give you a few starters for 10:

visitlondon.com/attractions/culture/top-ten-… and read some trip reports in the stickies. Everyone's different.

Niskayuna, New York
Level Contributor
491 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top 3 things to do in London

Unfortunately, the State Rooms in Buckingham Palace will not be open to the public in October, but otherwise, I would highly suggest that.

It depends on your interests. Do you like museums? Then British Museum is a must. British history? Tower of London or Churchill War Cabinets, depending on what you like, would be suggested. Foodie? There are plenty of wonderful restaurants, or try a real Afternoon Tea.

Alta, Norway
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Top 3 things to do in London

Mine:

1. Go to the theatre.

2. Go to the theatre.

3. Go to the theatre.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
943 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Top 3 things to do in London

1. Bring money of any type

2. Spend it

3. Get more Pounds from an ATM (Cash Point in the UK) and repeat 2 and 3 until the ATM refuses to dispense additional funds.

Cheers

Seriously, get a DK Eyewitness Guide and see what interests you as joeintheuk suggested.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Top 3 things to do in London

1. Tour Tower of London

2. Tour Westminster Abbey

3. Take an evening (after dark) walk around Westminster.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Top 3 things to do in London

I would agree with Elin V's top three. But that's because I love the London stage.

Of course your mistake. mick, is in assuming that there is a list of three London attractions/events that would appeal to everyone. Whereas the reality is that people are different and different things appeal to them. So, for example, I have no intention of ever visiting the State Rooms at Buckingham Palace or the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London. My life is too short to waste on such things. But you might be different. However, mick, you would be wise to follow Joe's advice and read up a bit about London before you visit the place. That way, you will get to see the places you really want to see (and not those foisted on you by other people).

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,401 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Top 3 things to do in London

Agree with Insightful....are you looking for

"top three for family with small children"

"top three for London first timers"

"top three for romantic couple"

"top three for history buffs"

"top three for art lovers"

"top three for families with teens"

etc.

The DK Eyewitness Travel London book is very helpful...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Top 3 things to do in London

Wow, people are cranky today. The OP simply asked for your opinion on your top 3 things to do.

I will just give my top 5 for a first time visitor in London. (Sorry , I can't seem to limit it to 3!) The OP can figure out whether they fit him. In no particular order:

1. The Tower of London.

2. Either St. Paul's Cathedral or Westminster Abbey. (I love both, but pick one.)

3. Take a walk through the parks (perhaps St. James Park to Green Park, and up into Hyde Park) or along the South Bank.

4. Go to a play or musical.

5. The British Library Treasures room. bl.uk/whatson/permgall/treasures/index.html

Enjoy your trip!