We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Street parking

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
bc
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Topic
Street parking

I will be staying at The Royal Court Apartments 51 Gloucester Terrace Monday night,Sept 26. As I will arrive in the evening and cannot return my rental car until the next morning I would like to know about parking in the area,street or otherwise. Thanks

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,732 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Street parking

You can park on a single yellow line after 6.30P.M. for free. You must be gone before 8.30A.M. There is parking up on Bishop's Bridge Rd. at about three pounds an hour.

Depending on the time of day you arrive those are your options.

"Safety Fast"

London, UK
Level Contributor
479 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Street parking

Wow, lordkimmage, I've been living here for over seven years, and you're the first person who's been able to definitively answer the question about when you can park on a single yellow line. Thank you!

London
Level Contributor
9,312 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Street parking

" You can park on a single yellow line after 6.30P.M. for free "

Just to add a word of caution. The answer above was directed at a specific enquiry on one particular street. It shouldn't be interpreted as an answer across all London.

There isn't a universal across London for single yellows. You need to read the relevant sign for each specific area.

It's true that in most London streets, after 6.30 will be OK. But it's not true of every street in London. For example, in the City of London, single yellow rules apply until 7pm and start again on weekdays at 7am.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Street parking

#2 - the rules for parking are documented in the highway code.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,832 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Street parking

surface travel, there is always a sign in the street telling you when you can park on the yellow line. Haven't you ever seen these?

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Street parking

"you're the first person who's been able to definitively answer the question"

As rcspeirs says, there is no definitive answer, it just depends where you are. You need to look at the restrictions on the signs which are usually mounted on lamp posts. Single yellow just means parking restrictions apply.

canidoit.org/can-i-park-on-a-single-yellow-l…

London
Level Contributor
9,312 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Street parking

FatChris " there is always a sign in the street telling you when you can park on the yellow line "

No - actually that's not always true - not in many parts of London. London has parking zones (hundreds, possibly thousands, of different zones). The restriction rules applying to that particular zone are posted on a street sign on every road that intersects the edge of each zone, but usually only posted there. You'll find many streets where there is no information on the lamp posts, and you may be some distance from the parking zone boundary where the relevant information is displayed. (This is especially true in inner boroughs and the City)

It can make it extremely difficult to find out what rules apply to any individual street when you are actually there, though you can see before you set off by checking the parking zone details on the relevant borough web site. (Always assuming you know exactly where you intend to park).

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Street parking

I thought we were talking here specifically about what a single yellow line means? That will always be clarified on a plate on a post in the road.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Street parking

Be thankful when there are yellow lines to warn you that you may be parking in violation of the rules. Here in Ipswich there are no yellow lines in some of the streets in the medieval section of town because they are considered detrimental to the character of the place. There are just signs as you enter the zone, which can easily be missed and certainly couldn't be read in full by someone driving past them. I have sat in a restaurant on a Saturday evening watching entire rows of parked cars having tickets slapped on them. While this is not in London, it is quite possible that there are a few places in Greater London where a similar situation exists.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Street parking

I agree with Nick - no sign no restriction. Although you may end up having to appeal against the ticket an over zealous Warden slaps on your car.