We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What theater shows are good or "hot" right now

Chicago
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
What theater shows are good or "hot" right now

I will be in London for 3 nights, September 15-18 and we are interested (35 year old American Couple) in possibly seeing a show. We live in a big city, so we are able to enjoy theater home as well. Are there any plays that have been highly reviewed recently. Or is there a musical that stands out among Billy Elliot, The Lion King or Les Miserables in London? Thank you!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,551 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What theater shows are good or "hot" right now

Check the reviews www.timeout.com/london

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What theater shows are good or "hot" right now

Why not just get a couple of discounted tickets from the Ticket Booth in Leicester Square for shows that you think you'll like. You can buy tickets for a week in advance.

http://www.tkts.co.uk/whats-on-sale/

Just stay away from The Mousetrap, only tourists go there and apparently it's very poor.

Edited: 07 September 2011, 04:55
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What theater shows are good or "hot" right now

The three musicals you mention have been running longer than my mortgage and will probably still be running on your next trip so you might want try something newer or more challenging.

I don't think War Horse has reached Chicago yet and with the film due out soon it could be a good time to go. Tickets should be available from the TKTS booth mentioned above by Glyn. Of other musicals, Betty Blue Eyes is sadly closing soon but might be something a little different and it will take you back to post war northern England.

There are a few new interesting looking straight plays based on movies (Driving Miss Daisy, Cool Hand Luke) opening in the autumn so do check the TKTS booth for deals on previews and also consider Top Girls at The Traflalgar Studios which got my mothers seal of approval.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,351 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What theater shows are good or "hot" right now

'The Playboy of The Western World' is opening at The Old Vic around that time. 'One Man,two Guvnors' is transferring from the National Theatre to the West End, but I'm not sure of the exact dates.

As Adam says, it does seem a shame to see things which are franchised everywhere.

London, United...
Level Contributor
659 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What theater shows are good or "hot" right now

Another vote for Warhorse, one of the best productions I have ever seen.

The primary jaw-dropper of the theatre version is the puppetry of the horses. And as the film version is obviously going to be using real horses, I fear this will turn out to be a poor crossover bearing little resemblance to the play and awash with huge CGI battle scenes; Saving Private Ryan with gee-gees.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What theater shows are good or "hot" right now

The musical adaption of Ghost has opened recently so that could also be an option if you enjoyed the film.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What theater shows are good or "hot" right now

>>The primary jaw-dropper of the theatre version is the puppetry of the horses. And as the film version is obviously going to be using real horses, I fear this will turn out to be a poor crossover bearing little resemblance to the play and awash with huge CGI battle scenes; Saving Private Ryan with gee-gees.<<

my concern, as well although I haven't seen the play yet

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,132 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What theater shows are good or "hot" right now

Thumbs up for War Horse.

www.seetickets.com

www.warhorselondon.com

9. Re: What theater shows are good or "hot" right now

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 October 2011, 15:36
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What theater shows are good or "hot" right now

Irina,

I am sure there must be a few people who would jump at the chance but you do have to admit that your description make it sound like a spoof written by Private Eye.