We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick to Paddington

Houston, TX'
12 posts
Save Topic
Gatwick to Paddington

Hello everyone,

Can someone give me great advice on getting from Gatwick to Paddington station? I'm still not entirely clear on how travel cards work, so what's the best way to do this?

Thanks!

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
688 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick to Paddington

Simplest way is the Gatewick Express to Victoria Station (you can pay for this train trip by credit card on the train)

Then get on the tube at Victoria and take the Circle line to Paddington station.

Look into a vistors card for the tube before you go to London - londontransport.co.uk/tfl/out_abt_ftt_visito…

Or you can purchase your tube tickets in London

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,606 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick to Paddington

The Gatwick Express is 12 pounds although you can travel with commuters for 8 pounds on a scheduled Southern Railway Train. With luggage it's better to stick to The Gatwick Express. It arrives at Victoria. From there you can take the Circle Line clockwise (westbound) 7 stops to Paddington. A single ticket costs 2 pounds. Depending on your length of stay you can buy a travelcard there and then or wait until you next use the tube. They can be bought at any tube station. To give you an idea, a one day travelcard for unlimited travel on tubes and buses after 9.30am would cost 4 pounds and 70 pence.

Good luck and please ask again if you need any more information.

Adam C

adamhornets@yahoo.com

Houston, TX'
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick to Paddington

Thank you so much for that information! All of the travel guides I've been reading have been very confusing regarding the travelcard. Now it makes sense. ;-)

When we disembark at Victoria, is the tube very far? Upstairs? Downstairs?

I have one more question: when there is a ticket price listed as "return," does that mean round trip or just for the actual return? For example, the Gatwick Express costs X amount if you are leaving the airport, but Y amount for "return." If I need a round trip ticket, do I just pay the return fare and get two tickets from/to Gatwick? I hope my example made sense...

Thanks!

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick to Paddington

Return is English for Round Trip. There are two entrances to the Underground station from the concourse of the main line train station. It will involve walking down a couple of flights of stairs to the booking hall, where you would buy a ticket or travel card and go through the turnstiles. From there it is a down escalator if you are going to the Victoria line platforms and down more stairs (I think) if you are going to the Circle/District Line platforms.

Everything is signed, but can still be confusing. If you have to stop and get your bearings, do step aside so as not to get trampled by hurrying Londoners. Even though trains come every 3 or 4 minutes, the locals rush as if they fear the next train will be the last train ever.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,606 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick to Paddington

Ron is spot on!

As you will use the circle line you won't have to deal with escalators just stairs. If you are not sure, ask. You will be surprised how helpful people especially the London Transport Staff are. I think our Mayor has sent them all to charm school!

Houston, TX'
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatwick to Paddington

thank you so much for this information, everyone.

Do I purchase the travelcards from an agent or are there little automatic "kiosks" where I can use my debit card?

Thanks!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,606 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatwick to Paddington

Janet, At tube stations there are booths where you stand in line and deal with an agent who will take cash or credit card AND there are machines where you do it yourself and I think they take cards as well as cash. The later is quicker as the line consists of tourists who don't read tripadvsior!!

Houston, TX'
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Gatwick to Paddington

Whew! You guys weren't kidding about the stairs at the Underground stations. Normally, that wouldn't be a problem for me, but with luggage it's a whole different story.

I can't thank everyone enough for their wonderful advice on getting from Gatwick, to Victoria, to Paddington. I followed your directions, and that made it much easier for us after a 9 hour flight. The tube was a nightmare at Victoria--Circle line delays, large crowd of people waiting--but we eventually got to our hotel near Paddington.

London was fabulous--expensive, but fabulous, and we can't wait to go back!

Thank you, again, everyone.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gatwick to Paddington

The easiest way is to take the slower Thames Link train to Farringdon rather than the slightly faster Gatwick Express. Here you only have to walk over a bridge for the Circle Line train to Paddington instead of being lost and confused at Victoria.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,263 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gatwick to Paddington

The easiest, most expensive way, is to take a cab from Victoria. Much simpler with luggage than dealing with the stairs and crowds at Victoria.