We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which carriage on Eurostar

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
328 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Which carriage on Eurostar

Hi....I'm taking the train from London to Paris. I understand that it's best to be on a forward carriage, to avoid a long taxi queue at Gard du Nord. True? If so, which carriage should I seek.

Also, I don't care to dine on the train. Is it worth getting premiere class for better access to the front of the train and just a more comfortable ride?

Thank you!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,261 reviews
from US$126.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
459 reviews
from US$104.80*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$148.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$299.60*
Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
943 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which carriage on Eurostar

Second Class is fine unless you want to pay a lot for a little more room. When you book your tickets, you get to see where you are located in the train set.

You can do a "dummy" booking to see how it works.

Also see www.seat61.com for all things train.

Cheers

London
Level Contributor
10,798 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which carriage on Eurostar

Premiere (first) is actually in the middle of the train, so booking that doesn;t get you to the front at Gare du Nord.

The ride is the same throughout the train - very smooth. The premiere seats are more spacious - I find the economy seats a touch cramped. However, you're only on it for two hours, so the economy seat is bearable for that duration.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,107 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which carriage on Eurostar

If you want to be off and out quickly at GdN, you want to be in coaches 17 or 18 from London.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which carriage on Eurostar

Not true at all. Gare du Nord has trains arriving from Amsterdam, Brussels, Cologne and many parts of north east France (and a host of other destinations) all through the day.

The taxi rank won't just start getting busy when a train from London comes in, but if you need to be at the front choose carriage 18.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,959 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which carriage on Eurostar

As henneth says; your carriage will make little difference on where you end up in the taxi queue as Gare du Nord is hugely busy at all times.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
97 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which carriage on Eurostar

Have just recently booked us on carriage 16 with standard seats. I believe that carriage 14 has the power outlets if you want to 'plug in', however we will have all our laptops, iPods charged for the short trip anyway. There are 5 of us and we are renting a ParisPerfect apartment and they will have an english spreaking driver holding a sign with our name on it...no waiting in a queue is worth any extra expense for us, especially as we need a van taxi.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
97 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which carriage on Eurostar

Have just recently booked us on carriage 16 with standard seats. I believe that carriage 14 has the power outlets if you want to 'plug in', however we will have all our laptops, iPods charged for the short trip anyway. There are 5 of us and we are renting a ParisPerfect apartment and they will have an english spreaking driver holding a sign with our name on it...no waiting in a queue is worth any extra expense for us, especially as we need a van taxi.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
178 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which carriage on Eurostar

I also have a question about picking a carriage for this trip. We have Standard Premier tickets and currently booked in Carriage 9 at a 2-person table next to a window. I understand a light meal is served at our seat so I shouldn't need to book a carriage near the Food Coach, correct? Also, the carriage plan doesn't show luggage racks for Carriage 9. Will there be space to store our luggage or will we need to store them on another carriage?

Thanks in advance!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which carriage on Eurostar

aznaphrodite , check the link below. There is a clearly labelled baggage section in carriage 9.

eurostar.com/pdf/seat_plan/seat_plan_UK.pdf

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,386 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which carriage on Eurostar

Do you actually get to choose what carriage you are in? Or is it just assigned when you book.

Have't travelled for a while but don't recall being offered a choice

Edited: 17 January 2012, 15:32